Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been using Slackware 10.2 with kernel 2.2.x for a little over a year with no problems. Of course, with version 11.0 out, I decided to upgrade and since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Panic - Can't Boot Into Any Media

Hi,

I've been using Slackware 10.2 with kernel 2.2.x for a little over a year with no problems. Of course, with version 11.0 out, I decided to upgrade and since it came with kernel 2.4.33.3, why not get the latest and greatest?

Well, kernel compiling is somewhat new to me but I slogged through the process. I downloaded 2.6.19 from kernel.org. I patched it. I used a Slackware config file (2.6.18 I believe) and waited while the computer did its thing.

I never got the new kernel up and running so I called it a night. I turned on my computer today and got "<0> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!"

Well that sucks. I did leave 2.4.33.3 in LILO, but I got the same kernel panic. I tried to boot up with my Slackware CDs, nothing. LiveCDs, kernel panic. I can't boot into any media; the kernel panic is returned each and every time.

Computer is a laptop about six years old. 1GHz AMD Duron, 258 RAM, DVD-ROM drive. This is, by far, not a fancy setup whatsoever.

Any suggestions?

Linux Enthusiast
    Why did you build your own kernel when theres a 2.6 kernel package on the second cd?

Linux Enthusiast
    If you're booting a livecd and that is kernel-panicking too, maybe the laptop hardware is at fault and has a problem with the 2.6 kernel.

I'd try the kernel package on the second cd... or try a 2.4 kernel , go intermediate, maybe jumping from 2.2 to 2.6 in one go was a shock for your lappy

Just Joined!
    For some reason, now I'm able to boot into media though I still got a few kernel panics.

Perhaps something in my computer is on the way out? Either that or I just really screwed up something hardware wise.

Yeah, I think I'll just use the kernel on the second CD.