Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have XP home on my desktop and want to do a dual boot with Slackware 11. I deleted the partitions off my HD to start fresh. I reinstalled XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 11/WinXP dual boot?

I have XP home on my desktop and want to do a dual boot with Slackware 11. I deleted the partitions off my HD to start fresh. I reinstalled XP on a single 20GB partition. I want to install slackware on a partition of similar size but I'm not sure how to write the file system to the disk. When I use fdisk through it tells me I can't write to the disk. Also, XP is on a NTFS partition, do I need to change that? I am very new to linux so feel free to treat me like a noob.

hi AFBidDAF !

first of all, create space for Slackware. download GParted LiveCD, boot up from it and resize/shrink windows partition. dont format new space. leave it unpartitioned/free. start Slackware installation and in partition section, select 'Unpartitioned/Free space for install. installer will create/format partitions for you. dont change anything in Boot Loader section coz Dual boot is default. installer will setup dual boot for you.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Hey Thanks

That was easy! However, I am having problems with my sound. I tried a couple of the suggestions on another form but they didn't work. I have a gigabyte ga-k8nsc-939 mobo. The Nvidia disc that came with it has audo drivers for windows os but nothing for linux. I have been told that the Slackware distribution includes most drivers it needs but I'm not sure how to install these. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what is the best thing to do for internet security/virus protection? I run Norton on my WinXP, is there a way to run that on linux? Thanks again for your help

hi !

i will check the details and driver support for gigabyte ga-k8nsc-939 mobo. i would suggest you to start a new thread for this problem coz this thread's title is "Slackware 11/WinXP dual boot?" and a lot of members who know the solution, will not look into it.

you dont need any AntiVirus for Linux. its Virus free. you can install rkhunter for regular checks. check this thread for more details.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First