Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I experienced that my Fly Video card working with 2,6 kernel at mandriva. But I couldn't make it work with my deb....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I experienced that my Fly Video card working with 2,6 kernel at mandriva. But I couldn't make it work with my deb.

Nothing to do with the version of kernel in this case,cause Debain comes with Xfree86
    wish it contains less hardware information but Mandriva or Suse or even Slack 11.0 come with XorgR6.9 or newer (the new version of Debain 4.0 etch will be with XorgR7).

hey, you say why you need to compile a kernel ?!?!

you need to compile it , and building your own kernel, especially made for your own machine, a kernel that doesn't have built in in it some crappy things you don't need

i will give some examples, i don't need support for the AX25 protocol, neither for bsd partitions, or ext2/3.

i compiled my kernel with smp, and compiled it with support for my processor, so it works swell now.

if you don't compile the kernel, taking out of it things you don't need, it means that you're a bad user / administrator or just proves that you're lazy

i don't mean to offend anyone, but this is my opinion

good luck to all of you

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

For volomir

Are you sending this message for me?

Code:
    if you don't compile the kernel, taking out of it things you don't need, it means that you're a bad user / administrator or just proves that you're lazy
    I hardly think its because anyones a bad user or because there lazy, in my case I have no idea what to take out, maybe if I can someday make it to your intelegence level I will be able to figure that out. Until then I will continue to read these forums and learn as much as possible and tell people like you to save your breath for actually helping rather than trying to make yourself feel like you are a part of something greater than the rest of us.

You should jump off a cliff.

Nuff said.

....but thats just my opinion.

Don't care ouellettesr, but unfortunately some people think if they are the center of the space.they start saying (as a profet) very nice sentences

hey mates, you got it all wrong, it wasn't for the beginners, really

i didn't mean to offend anyone

it's just that i saw a post of somebody who said he doesn't see the utility of building your own custom kernel ! i just wanted to say that the affirmation was false, because if you build a server, and you want to achieve high performances, you need to recompile the kernel

i didn't want to sound like a prophet, that was just my opinion.

you told me to jump of a cliff, right ?! now why would you say a nasty thing like this ?

you told me to jump of a cliff, right ?! now why would you say a nasty thing like this ?
    Nasty?

Calling someone a bad user /admin or even lazy is not Nasty?

I was just pointing out your obvious lack of respect for people trying to help others and since you gave us your unwanted opinion, in return I gave you mine.

Now we can argue on and on about this, or you can suck it up and take it like a man!

If you really want to help, leave the criticism out. Maybe then we will get (and care about) what you are actually trying to say.

I downloaded the new stable kernel, configured it. and now when I boot that image I get no display. I see lilo loading the image and thats it. Then the screen goes blank. I know it does boot to a prompt, becase I can login and type reboot and it reboots the pc, I just cant see anything.

I booted off the cd ,(I do not have floppy anymore) and changed back to my old kernel.

I am now safely booting my old kernel.

Any ideas why my display wont work anymore under the new kernel? I think I may have left out somethings in the kernel config. It was my first time compiling a new kernel so I expected something to go wrong. There are SO MANY options. I really have no idea what i do need or what I don't need in my kernel.

I am setting up the kernel for just a simple desktop, I have a am37 mobo 512 mb Ram. I have a geforce fx5500 video card with the latest Nvidia drivers installed. Will provide more information if needed.

Thanks

Ok go to the kernel source directory type make menuconfig
    and go to Device Driver-
    Graphics support-
    <*> Support for frame buffer devices
    <*> VGA 16-color graphics support[*] VESA VGA graphics support

enable these and you're problem will be solved.

hope this help

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast