Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Sorry I acedently posted this twice, and I don't know how to deete it. How do I upgrade my kernal (or however you spell it)? Please redirect me if this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to upgrade a kernal?

Sorry I acedently posted this twice, and I don't know how to deete it. How do I upgrade my kernal (or however you spell it)? Please redirect me if this question has already been answerd on this site.

C@RL

Linux Enthusiast
    is there a specific reason why you need to?

just go into init 1, remove the kernel-generic and kernel-modules packages, then installpkg the 2.6 packages pat provides on the 2nd CD.

It crashes if my UBS mouse is plugged in

Well if my USB mouse is pluged in then the kernel panics when you boot up, so I was hoping that a newer kernel (I cerrently have 2.4 point something) would fix that. So would it? And I'm not quite sure how to remove the generic-kernel and kernel modules packages, so could you explane that a with a little more detail?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Kernel 2.6.20

Just download the last stable version of the kernel 2.6.20,
    and unpack the file using
    tar -xvf linux-2.6.20.tar.gz
    cd linux-2.6.20
    and know you need to configure the kernel before compiling it this can be done using the command (make menuconfig) after select the needed modules for your computer,exit and save (the configuration save into .config file)
    know: make bzImage
    and make modules
    and make modules_install

depending on your architechture the kernel image is stored know into arch/i386/boot/bzImage copy this file to /boot directory and know you should configure lilo or grub to point into your new kernel image (ther is a lot of information on the Web about that)
    Don't worry if you still have missing modules drivers you can repeat the same procuder and add new modules.

you can also do lscpi to know the name of your hardware.

reply me if you still have question
    hope this help

ALI-LEBANON-LINUX.

Linux Enthusiast
    there is no need to download and build your own kernel.

just use the packages from the second CD.

like I said before.

Kernel update

Of course you right, there is no need to build a own kernel,but in my case some modules was missing in the kernel shipped with the extra package of Slack 11.0. so i compiled this kernel(shipped in the DVD) adding my modules and works,that's explained how to do it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I never need any modules other than what the kernel provides, except for an nvidia driver I don't even use anymore.

What hardware is it that requires external modules? May I ask?

Kernel modules

you said for Nvidia driver for example,In my case the ATI Radeon X1600,and we use a special machine at CERN to check optical fibers....(and many other examples) of course at CERN all the computer are running Scientific Linux CERN(SLC3.01),but i prefer using Slackware.

Just Joined!
    I tried Mandriva but I didn't like it. Then a Turkish distro and same. So decided to use Slackware for second OS. (First Deb) I started to download. But its coming with 2,4 kernel default. Of course I can choose at starting of installation 2,6 kernel. But at start to use default is better. But somewhere I had read that kdetv not working at 2,4. İs it true?

It depends on what do you want to use kdetv on!
    the default kernel of Slack is ok but the major problem of Linux is that not all the companies that produce hardware make a driver for Linux,so i always prefer to buy a supported hardware by Linux and to use a new version of the kernel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast