Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Just finished installing Slackware 11.0 from "Slackware-11.0 install DVD". On reboot by pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] it failed to boot hanging on; GRUB Loading stage1.5 GRUB Loading please wait Error ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Slackware 11.0 fails to boot

Hi folks,

Just finished installing Slackware 11.0 from "Slackware-11.0 install DVD". On reboot by pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] it failed to boot hanging on;

GRUB Loading stage1.5
    GRUB Loading please wait
    Error 17

Pls advise how to fix the problem. TIA

Edit:
    I discovered grub not installed yet.

I made following test.

Booted up the PC with a LiveCD. On terminal:

# fdisk -l
    /dev/sda1 *
    /dev/sda2 /
    etc.

# mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1
    # ls /media/sda1
    README.initrd
    System.map-ide-2.4.33.3
    System.map
    config
    config-ide-2.4.33.3
    diagl.img
    vmlinuz
    vmlinuz-ide-2.4.33.3

grub not installed.

I have to find grub.img and get it installed there. I think I can find it and rawrite.exe on Internet. Another problem is this PC does not have floppy drive.

Any suggestion? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Hi, i am a newbie to Slackware, hence, i had to install twice. Grub i never got it to work. So in installed lilo, and modified the file initrc.d to add support for reiserfs and it worked fine. If you want, i suggest you use lilo.

Linux Guru
    Hi sheds,

Tks for your advice. I got my problem fixed.

Slackware is complete new to me. At time of installation I did not recognise LILO was Slackware's default bootloader. I did not install it and there was no other choice. Neither I can find Grub. That came to such a situation.

I booted up the PC with Slackware installer again and installed LILO. PC can be booted now.

Tks again.

B.R.
    satimis

there's grub in the "extra" folder (just look inside the CDs). It includes grubconfig, much like liloconfig for easy setup. But I experiment with it you'll need to do some more editing to the grub.conf file.

I tested Zenwalk. Now this is slackware for everyday use. I'm highly reccomend it if you want slackware flavor but don't want to trouble yourself much and get to work right away.

Linux Guru
    Hi stubbe,

Tks for your advice and URL.

there's grub in the "extra" folder (just look inside the CDs). It includes grubconfig, much like liloconfig for easy setup. But I experiment with it you'll need to do some more editing to the grub.conf file.
    I run grub for sometimes after LILO. Personally I prefer the former. Only because LILO is Slackware's default bootload I come back to it.

I will erase Slackware soon. I mistakenly took it a 64 bit version OS, in fact only 32bit. I have Slamd64-11.0 download on this box. I'm now trying to solve how to burn the DVD iso image without front-end burning package.

# growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=slamd64-11.0-install-dvd.iso

did not work for me getting a warning;
    Code:
    Executing 'builtin_dd if=slamd64-11.0-install-dvd.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
    :-( write failed: Invalid argument)
    I tested Zenwalk. Now this is slackware for everyday use. I'm highly reccomend it if you want slackware flavor but don't want to trouble yourself much and get to work right away.
    Tks for your advice. I'll run Slackware as server OS. Just have a brief visit on Zenwalk site. Have no idea whether it has 64bit version.

B.R.
    satimis