Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there people. I am running into serious problems trying to get my mouse to even move with Slackware 11. So far, i haven't been able to move the mouse. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Not moving at all

Hi there people. I am running into serious problems trying to get my mouse to even move with Slackware 11. So far, i haven't been able to move the mouse. It just sits in the middle of the screen. I thought that once i got the nvidia driver installed, that problem would go away on its own. But boy was i wrong. It's just sitting in the middle of the screen still. So, i went into '/usr/src/linux' and ran 'mouseconfig'. I've tried every single possibility there, options i didn't even know what they were, to no avail.

So, having this been said, how do i get my mouse to work? How can i find out which option in /dev is the mouse connected to? Which option in menuconfig should i use? And just for the kicks, from scratch, how can i run a configuration utility so that i can select the mouse options for Slack? I ask this cause i read something about not installing or selecting the mouse module when building the kernel. I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6.17.13, just so you know.

I got a PS/2 CTE mouse, and it worked fine with Fedora, but now, Slack does not want to use it, it probably doesn't like it, jejeje. Thanks for all the help in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not running Slackware right now but here's the mouse section out of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier	"Mouse1"
        Driver	"mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
        Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5 6 7"
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    If you know what hardware you have, you can su to root and run xorgconfig to setup your keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    If you know what hardware you have, you can su to root and run xorgconfig to setup your keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
    I wouldn't mind running that from scratch, i can make a backup of xorg.conf before i do. So if i mess things up with the monitor and the keyboard, i can go back to just the mouse not moving. Jejejeje. I'll try it up. Wish me luck.

Btw, i tried that configuration you wrote there, and didn't work. Thanks anyways.

Unhappy

Ok, the xorgconfig option through an error that no screens were found. So let's not do that. I got my original xorg.conf file restored, so i am back to using the nvidia driver succesfully installed and configure in xorg.conf, and the mouse still in center screen. I started X with user root, and not even him can move that bum.

Ok, so now, i need some questions answered:

1. How can i tell which /dev/???? is the mouse using??

2. Do i need to restart the machine after mouseconfig so the kernel loads the mouse modules???

Banned
    How did you intall 2.6 ?

Even if you picked the huge26.s kernel(recommended for new people), you still must install the the same kernel modules as for the generic 2.6.
    They're on the second disc in /extra (in the same map as kernel-generic-2.6).

If you already installed huge26.s, don't intall the kernel-generic package but only the kernel-modules package (kernel-generic is very bare, not even ext3 or reiserfs support by default).

I installed generic, modules and something else, they came in the dvd. I installed from a dvd. I am pretty sure that part is ok, i nearly drove some fellows crazy helping me get it right. I just don't know where else to go to get this fixed.

Linux Newbie
    You can always edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf directly to alter the mouse setting given to you by ozar.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    I installed generic, modules and something else, they came in the dvd. I installed from a dvd. I am pretty sure that part is ok, i nearly drove some fellows crazy helping me get it right. I just don't know where else to go to get this fixed.
    What happens if you run modprobe psmouse
    ?
    Did it work with 2.4?
    Does GPM work (outside X)?
    Are you using "/dev/input/mice" (and did you check if your module is supported)?
    Did you try "Auto" instead of "PS/2" or "IMPS/2" ?

I had the same problem with a Logitech G7 (wireless usb) and the solution in my case was to NOT install with GDM.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast