Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am using internet connection through cable. i have been accessing the net using windows 2000 till now. can any one help me as to how to establish the connection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question establishing internet connection in slackware

i am using internet connection through cable. i have been accessing the net using windows 2000 till now. can any one help me as to how to establish the connection in slackware linux 11.0

Quote Originally Posted by kanchanapraba
    i am using internet connection through cable. i have been accessing the net using windows 2000 till now. can any one help me as to how to establish the connection in slackware linux 11.0
    go into the command line and type netconfig. this command gives you the ability to setup your connection. you will have to know some stuff about how you connect like if you are connecting through dhcp etc but it walks you through that.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

I continued this thread because my problem starts off the same. I am using a static IP address. When I open a web browser i get an error saying the www.whatever.com sould not be resolved.

I think it may be because I have to enter in the DNS Server address to charter like I did in Windows, But I cant figure out how.

I tried doing pppoeconf and entering them in there but it didn't work, and am I right in the assumption that pppoe is for DSL?

I have Broadband through charter and I am using a linksys wrt54gv4 router. Also my modem is a Motorola 585120 Surfboard. I can provide more info if needed thanks.

I figured it out. It seems that when I ran netconfig I accidentally selected NO when it asked if I was going to be using a nameserver.

I did not need to enter the address of the nameserver (xx.xx.xx.xx), It just worked.