Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
you still don't understanding me,in /dev you should have the names of the devices that you have so in principle /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 it's the name of the flash disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

you still don't understanding me,in /dev you should have the names of the devices that you have so in principle /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 it's the name of the flash disk but in the /mnt directory you should create a directory named flash for example using: mkdir flash,and you mount it and that's sould work for sure try to read carefully the /etc/fstab once you done with this we will move to the next step(the wireless).

OK, I see what you are saying now. Here is the contents of my fstab:

Code:
    /dev/hda1        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
    /dev/hda2        /                reiserfs    defaults         1   1
    /dev/hda3        /usr/local       reiserfs    defaults         1   2
    /dev/hda4        /home            reiserfs    defaults         1   2
    /dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,owner,ro  0   0
    /dev/sda1        /mnt/flash       vfat        noauto,users,rw,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0
    devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
    proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0

I created the directory "flash" under /mnt and then I did this:

Code:
    root@LinuxMachine:/mnt# mkdir flash
    mkdir: cannot create directory `flash': File exists
    root@LinuxMachine:/mnt# mount flash
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
           missing codepage or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so

root@LinuxMachine:/mnt# mount /mnt/flash
           dmesg | tail  or so

root@LinuxMachine:/mnt# umount /mnt/flash
    umount: /mnt/flash: not mounted
    root@LinuxMachine:/mnt# mount /mnt/flash
           dmesg | tail  or so

root@LinuxMachine:/mnt#

fstab

Ok You nearly done,this error message means that the file system on your flas disk is not vfat (vfat correspond to fat32) maybe ntfs so instead of vfat write ntfs,now should works,if you read your flash disk and you still have no permission to write you should replace ntfs by ntfs-3g but i recommend to format the flash disk to fat32 to avoid some trouble,cause micro$oft hide any information about the ntfs file system so the developers of linux offer a write right but quite danger( in some case you can destroy some data) but it's never happened to me,in any case you can format the flash disk to fat32.
    tell me about any news.
    hope this help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok, now we are getting somewhere.
    I changed it to ntfs, didn't work and I got the same error as before.

I changed to ntfs-3g, it said unknown filesytem type.

Then I tried to format it on my windows machine, and I changed the fstab back to vfat. It did work. I mounted /mnt/flash and made a directory called kevin.

Here is what fstab reads now:

Code:
    /dev/hda1        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
    /dev/hda2        /                reiserfs    defaults         1   1
    /dev/hda3        /usr/local       reiserfs    defaults         1   2
    /dev/hda4        /home            reiserfs    defaults         1   2
    /dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,owner,ro  0   0
    /dev/sda1        /mnt/flash       vfat        noauto,users,rw,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,owner     0   0
    devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
    proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0

Now I need to figure out how to make it open a new window when I stick it in the USB port.

Thanks

Ok,when you format as fat32 you still have the same error!!! or something else make sure that in /dev there is something called sda1 or sda,but in any case it seems like you're using a old version of the kernel to see type
    uname -r

I'm sorry I think you misunderstood me. I said It DID work after I formatted it on my windows xp machine, and changed fstab back to vfat.

I do not get an error anymore.

I just need to know how to make it open a window automatically after inserting the flash in a USB port.

Thanks

I don't know exactly how to load automatically in easiest way,i'm not using KDE anymore,but of course there is a solution but i don't remember how now.
    let's move on you wireless tell me you're wireless name and the problem.

Nothing is impossible in Linux.

Ok, the model number on my wireless adapter is:

WUSB54GS ver 2.1 with SpeedBooster

When I plug it in nothing happens.

Thanks

first you have to download ndiswrapper from
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=93482
    and build this package.
    so extract the package(i prefer into /usr/src/) using the command
    tar -xvf ndiswrapper-1.37.tar.gz
    go into the extrated directorie.
    do make and make install.

tell me about what happen to move to the next step

Here is what happened:

Code:
    root@LinuxMachine:~# cd /usr/src
    root@LinuxMachine:/usr/src# tar -xvf ndiswrapper-1.37.tar.gz
    ndiswrapper-1.37/
    ndiswrapper-1.37/AUTHORS
    ndiswrapper-1.37/ChangeLog
    ndiswrapper-1.37/INSTALL
    ndiswrapper-1.37/Makefile
    ndiswrapper-1.37/README
    ndiswrapper-1.37/ndiswrapper.spec
    ndiswrapper-1.37/ndiswrapper.8
    ndiswrapper-1.37/loadndisdriver.8
    ndiswrapper-1.37/utils/
    ndiswrapper-1.37/utils/Makefile
    ndiswrapper-1.37/utils/ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper-1.37/utils/loadndisdriver.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/utils/ndiswrapper-buginfo
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/divdi3.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/hal.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/iw_ndis.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/iw_ndis.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/loader.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/loader.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/longlong.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/Makefile
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/crt.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/ndis.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/ndis.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/ndiswrapper.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/ntoskernel.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/ntoskernel.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/ntoskernel_io.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/pe_linker.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/pe_linker.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/pnp.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/pnp.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/proc.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/rtl.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/usb.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/usb.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/winnt_types.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/workqueue.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/wrapmem.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/wrapmem.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/wrapper.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/wrapndis.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/wrapndis.c
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/lin2win.h
    ndiswrapper-1.37/driver/win2lin_stubs.S
    root@LinuxMachine:/usr/src# cd nd*
    root@LinuxMachine:/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37# make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o crt.o crt.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o hal.o hal.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o iw_ndis.o iw_ndis.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o loader.o loader.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o ndis.o ndis.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o ntoskernel.o ntoskernel.c
    ntoskernel.c: In function `ExAllocatePoolWithTag':
    ntoskernel.c:1007: warning: long int format, int arg (arg 5)
    ntoskernel.c:1007: warning: long int format, int arg (arg 6)
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o ntoskernel_io.o ntoskernel_io.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o pe_linker.o pe_linker.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o pnp.o pnp.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o proc.o proc.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o rtl.o rtl.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o wrapmem.o wrapmem.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o wrapndis.o wrapndis.c
    wrapndis.c: In function `ndis_set_tx_csum':
    wrapndis.c:1687: warning: implicit declaration of function `ethtool_op_set_tx_hw_csum'
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o wrapper.o wrapper.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o usb.o usb.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o workqueue.o workqueue.c
    cc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include/linux/modversions.h -DUSB_DRIVER_OWNER -freg-struct-return -DUSE_OWN_WQ  -DLINUX -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.33.3/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -O2 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2    -c -o divdi3.o divdi3.c
    ld -r -o ndiswrapper.o crt.o hal.o iw_ndis.o loader.o ndis.o ntoskernel.o ntoskernel_io.o pe_linker.o pnp.o proc.o rtl.o wrapmem.o wrapndis.o wrapper.o usb.o workqueue.o divdi3.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make -C utils
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    gcc -g -Wall -I../driver -o loadndisdriver loadndisdriver.c
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    root@LinuxMachine:/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37# make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    ld -r -o ndiswrapper.o crt.o hal.o iw_ndis.o loader.o ndis.o ntoskernel.o ntoskernel_io.o pe_linker.o pnp.o proc.o rtl.o wrapmem.o wrapndis.o wrapper.o usb.o workqueue.o divdi3.o
    echo /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/misc
    /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/misc
    mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/misc
    install -m 0644 ndiswrapper.o /lib/modules/2.4.33.3/misc
    /sbin/depmod -a 2.4.33.3 -b /
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in //lib/modules/2.4.33.3/misc/ndiswrapper.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/driver'
    make -C utils install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    install -D -m 755 loadndisdriver /sbin/loadndisdriver
    install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
    install -D -m 755 ndiswrapper-buginfo /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo

NOTE: Windows driver configuration file format has changed since 1.5. You must re-install Windows drivers if they were installed before.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37/utils'
    mkdir -p -m 0755 /usr/man/man8
    install -m 644 ndiswrapper.8 /usr/man/man8
    install -m 644 loadndisdriver.8 /usr/man/man8
    root@LinuxMachine:/usr/src/ndiswrapper-1.37#

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast