Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Also, about the desktop environment, you won't be able to run KDE or GNOME with only 64 MB of RAM, you might be able to get away with XFCE, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Also, about the desktop environment, you won't be able to run KDE or GNOME with only 64 MB of RAM, you might be able to get away with XFCE, but that's also unlikely.
    I've run slack with all these desktops on 64M so it will work BUT it is painful Now that I think about it was on slack 10 so you are probably right on ver. 11.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    I've tried changing drives, I'm now using Lite-on and I still get the same message. I also tried booting DSL, the message I got was 'error booting'.
    Could it be that the settings in my BIOS/CMOS are wrong? (There's this settings for LBA mode, 32 bit mode which are all set to ON)

Those BIOS settings should be OK, but at this point in your 'adventure' you might as well try everything you can think of since it can't get any worse! After that many different distro's something should have loaded up so I'm out of ideas. I assume that you previously had some OS working on that box like maybe win 95 or 98. Under most circumstances if you can't install Slackware or Debian then there is something out of the ordinary going on. I sure hope you do find the solution and if so please post what you did.

Just Joined!
    I tried googling the error message I got and found one with exactly the same message but the site is in Hungarian www.slackware.hu/node/216

That figures! I bet you are questioning your luck.

Well there are some hungarians of the forum so maybe someone will be able to translate for you.

Just Joined!
    I am now able to boot from the CD. I downloaded and created a sbootmgr floppy which can be used to boot from CD in machines that have BIOS limitations. I can already boot the install CD, but I'm not installing it right now. I can now run DSL and maybe I'll try other live CDs next.

Thanx.

I find that, as I am also relatively new to Linux, that Slackware, being more technical, means that you learn quicker than easier distros like SuSe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2