Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello everybody! I am a new to linux and I encountered an error when I tried to install (boot) slackware from CD. The CD booted properly on other computers and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink error in booting slackware install CD

Hello everybody!

I am a new to linux and I encountered an error when I tried to install (boot) slackware from CD. The CD booted properly on other computers and I was able to see the boot prompt. This is the error that I have encountered:

ISOLINUX 2.13 2004-12-14 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it
    isolinux: Found something at drive = FF
    isolinux: Looks like it might be right, continuing
    isolinux: Disk error 01, AX=42E5, drive FF
    Boot failed: press a key to retry...

My computer has the following specs: Pentium MMX 166MHz, 64MB EDO RAM, and 4GB HDD.

I would appreciate it if you can give me answers or direct me to similar threads.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Enthusiast
    For some reason the latest release of Slackware doesn't boot in some older CD-ROMs. I've had similar issues as you. The only way around it is to get the boot floppies, and install Slackware that way.

Just wondering, is there any reason why you chose Slackware? I noticed you said you're new to linux, and Slackware isn't exactly a good place to start learning/experiencing linux.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I have read some threads from other forums that you can learn lots of things from using slackware. They say it's a little technical but can be a good first time distribution for newbs like me.

My hardware is a little limited and I think slackware still supports old machines like the one I have.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i don't see what this fuss is all about, meaning that slackware isn't for beginners

slackware is for everyone, and is quite simple and most of all, VERY STABLE

i love slackware, and i learned most of the things i know on slackware

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by volomir
    i don't see what this fuss is all about, meaning that slackware isn't for beginners
    Well, that wasn't exactly what I said!

Rephrasing it a little bit, what I meant was that Slackware dissapoints anyone that just wants to get rolling! It always requires you to configure things before using them, most notably X, but that isn't the only thing. Frankly, that's the only reason why I use it, I like configuring things my way, but no one can deny the fact that people that use Slackware as their first distro get generally more fustrated that those that install something like OpenSUSE or Ubuntu (I still dislike both of those).
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin_ylong
    The CD booted properly on other computers and I was able to see the boot prompt. This is the error that I have encountered:

My computer has the following specs: Pentium MMX 166MHz, 64MB EDO RAM, and 4GB HDD.
    Your problem might be the CD drive. Those older Cd drives don't always work with newer CD's. Toss another one in and see what happens.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rong
    Your problem might be the CD drive. Those older Cd drives don't always work with newer CD's. Toss another one in and see what happens.
    Oh yeah, good point! Make sure you're burning at a speed your CD drive can read. A lot of CD writers now-a-days burn at up to 52x, older could barely read 8x/16x, let along 52x. It's always good to burn ISO images at 4x, that way you know every CD drive can read it.

Just Joined!
    My CDROM drive (AOpen) says it can read 60x max and 52x nominal...

Anyway, I'm planning to get another drive and we'll see if I can go on with installing...

OT: Do you think I can run full desktops on my current machine? Or maybe, can I install other distributions that have lower memory requirements and still run a GUI?

Thanx...

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin_ylong
    My CDROM drive (AOpen) says it can read 60x max and 52x nominal...
    You have this cd drive on your legacy computer?

Do you think I can run full desktops on my current machine? Or maybe, can I install other distributions that have lower memory requirements and still run a GUI?
    Yes, but if you use KDE or GNOME it will be very slow. Of course if you add some more RAM that will help a bit. However, instead of those heavy weight desk managers you can run light weight desktop managers like XFCE or my favorite which is fluxbox.

Your 4G HDD will be OK. A full install takes about 2G but if you don't install KDE/GNOME you'll have even more breathing space.

When you install you'll have the option to leave out a lot of applications that you probably won't need so that's another way to keep it lean.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Enthusiast
    What he said! I've run Slackware on a similar spec machine. Don't expect it to be fast, cause it won't. Web pages will load very slow, it you probably won't be able to multitask as well as with something a little faster.

Also, about the desktop environment, you won't be able to run KDE or GNOME with only 64 MB of RAM, you might be able to get away with XFCE, but that's also unlikely. Running a standalone window manager will be your best bet. Slackware doesn't come with a lot of choices there, but you can check linuxpackages.net for some more stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast