Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
this is the first time im using slackware, and im not really new to linux. here are my questions: 1. does slackware have a file explorer? (im using mozilla firefox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

3 easy noob questions folks.

this is the first time im using slackware, and im not really new to linux.
    here are my questions:
    1. does slackware have a file explorer? (im using mozilla firefox to browse....)
    2. how do i mount an ntfs hard drive on /etc/fstab, what parameters should i type?
    3. im using fluxbox and there seem to be no wallpaper or any icon on it. (just askin cause fuxbox on DSL linux has icons and things like that.)

Thanks a lot for helping.

i mounted the hardrive!!

ok i have just 2 more questions. please help up. thanks.!

oz
    forum.guy
    Rox-filer is a nice, fast file manager for Fluxbox:

http://rox.sourceforge.net/

You can get a Slackware package for it here:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/

It's takes a few days to get used to rox but once you do, it's hard to beat.
    oz

Thanks a lot.

thanks for the reply, i appreciate it... so you got more tips for me bro? thanks... by the way.. how do i install apps or packages here on slackware... i used to do it [sudo apt -get install...] how do i here? or if you have a good guide please direct me to the link... im really liking slackware thanks a whole lot for your help.

Just Joined!
    Just su to root and use installpkg. So it would be like "installpkg nameofpackage.tgz" Also if you have the second CD you can use slackpkg to update your system. Once you install slackpkg you would just need to "slackpkg update" and "slackpkg upgrade-all".

BTW: once you install slackpkg you'll have to select a mirror to use in /etc/slackpkg/mirrors, just uncomment a mirror that is close to you.

And if you like to use Gnome there is a great dist of it called Dropline Gnome, built for slackware.

Welcome to the world of Slack!!!!

C-rin

Thank you for the reply, last question

when i installed slack everything was okay. i made the sound work and networking although there something that bothered me, when i log on as root or as user i startx like everyone and its okay.... although theres no wallpaper on fluxbox, i dont know why is this the default setting? and whenever i command startkde, startfluxbox, etc... i end up with the message "cannot connect to xserver or cannot start xserver". why is this so my friends? is this caused by not same md5sums?

Just Joined!
    Are you using "xwmconfig"? That will setup your default WM. I have never used startkde or startfluxbox before so I guess I can't really answer your question. I have never had the issue of not having wallpapers show up. Try using "xwmconfig" and see if that resolves the issue.

Does it happen in runlevel 4, Try changing your default run level and see if anything changes.

I guess Fluxbox is not the default DE in Slackware, that's why you don't have a wallpaper. Use fbsetbg yourwallpaper.jpg ... man fbsetbg for more info
    To use startkde or startfluxbox you need to run Xorg or Xfree86 (not sure about Slack's default) as well.
    Do this
    Edit ~/.xinitrc and add exec startfluxbox or exec startkde
    Then use startx
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

reply:

well i got a new dvd.iso of slack and i found that it really loads the fluxbox with no wall paper. but kde is ok... i just want the old unix look. LOL. so anybody got guides on this? yeah and thanks i got the wallpaper workin out here. thanks for the kewl peeps that helped me here.... so how can i get apps for slack? where can i get them? or how to update? lastly the way to emulate a wheel mouse.... thanks in advance youve been all good...

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rck_hitokiri
    so how can i get apps for slack? where can i get them? or how to update?
    You'll find Slackware packages scattered all over the web, but the LinuxPackages link I posted above, and regular Slackware mirrors are good places to find them:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/

http://www.slackware.com/getslack/

You can install packages with the built-in Slackware utility, pkgtool, or with 3rd party utilities such as Slapt-get, or Swaret:

http://software.jaos.org/

http://swaret.sourceforge.net/
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast