Find the answer to your Linux question:
Originally Posted by kkubasik ram can be substituted with swap space, i have undercut minimum ram requiremnts on many programs and distros (gentoo requires 300M to bootstrap, did it with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kkubasik
    ram can be substituted with swap space, i have undercut minimum ram requiremnts on many programs and distros (gentoo requires 300M to bootstrap, did it with 450 swap and 16 physical) its slow as hell, but if you aren't running anything hardcore (games, video editing, massive code compiles) then you will be fine.
    Wow! Is this correct? I'm planning to install Slacware 10.2 on my old PC with 64MB EDO RAM so I can learn some Linux (or maybe play games . Will I be able to run a full desktop (Kde or Gnome) by just increasing the swap?

Linux Newbie
    If I was going to try it I would go with SW11 first. KDE/Gnome...I'm thinking no. XFCE would probably be your best shot if you want GUI without KDE/Gnome hardware requirements.

Can the motherboard support 128MB? My local uni was basically giving away EDO a few years ago.

Have an old 150MHz, 128MB in the closet...I should see how VectorLinux 5.8Std does on it.

Linux Enthusiast
    Swap space is RAM on the hard drive. So if you can live with have drive access speeds as you RAM speed I don't see the problem (keep in mind hd access is hundreds of times slower than RAM access).
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCR
    Can the motherboard support 128MB? My local uni was basically giving away EDO a few years ago.
    I've no more slots available for RAM and if there were, I don't think stores here sell them anymore.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin_ylong
    I've no more slots available for RAM and if there were, I don't think stores here sell them anymore.
    Not slots, max mobo supported. I.e. rip out what you have in there and replace with what will max out the mobo.

Never buy this sort of thing from a store. WAY too expensive if they had it. Supply and demand. Find someone who has tons and throwing them out. Ebay will have higher e.g. non-free prices simply because whoever takes the time to post some on ebay will want at least some money out of it, but it would be a good place to start. Or call up or local uni and ask for the IT dept. and talk with them about it. Not sure where your local is though.

Or just totally ignore the above. Have fun learning Linux! You may want more Ram for gui games though...

Just Joined!
    The PC I'm using is a hand me down and I don't know about the maximum memory it can handle. There's an extra dimm slot but I don't know if it works, anyway..

I already installed Ubuntu Breezy Badger which dualboots with Win98, it's slow and I can barely open OpenOffice, but maybe that's okay for now.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, Ubuntu is definitly not the distro of choice for a low-spec machine. If you want Slackware requirements but more desktop-oriented polish out of the box I would recommend VectorLinux to you. I know that's a suprise...

DrCR