Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all. I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively for about a year along with a few other *nix systems for school (solaris 8/10 + fedora 5 + a little background ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to slackware, need help with sound

Hi all. I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively for about a year along with a few other *nix systems for school (solaris 8/10 + fedora 5 + a little background in slackware itself). I got annoyed with the outdated packages in the apt-get repositories and a friend recommended that I try slackware. I have everything I need for a useful day to day system working except sound.
    I've done some digging and tried to configure it with alsaconf/alsamixer by setting up with alsaconf and then unmuting and stuff with alsamixer followed by saving with alsactl store 0.
    When I run alsaconf it detects my integrated soundblaster 24 bit as an audigy and seems to set things up properly, but still no sound, even after unmuting and cranking up the volume in alsamixer. Does anyone have any ideas? This is the last thing I need to consider this a perfect day to day setup =).

Oh, and does anyone know how to tell if this is using both cores on my Athlon X2? in ubuntu the gnome-system monitor just had a cpu usage graph for each one but that thing has far more dependencies than I'm willing to deal with and none of the other system monitors differentiate between 1 and 2 cpus (as far as I can tell).
    I'm running slackware 11 with no modifications. Any help is much appreciated!
    edit:
    oh and I install the sata.i kernel.

go to /lib/modules/{version}/kernel/sound/pci and see if there is any module related to your sound card.
    tell me if your sound card is new?

hope this help

does anyone know how to tell if this is using both cores on my Athlon X2?
    From Command Line:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    RE: your sound card issue I don't know in your case but I used to have an audigy card and integrated sound and when booting it was a flip of the coin which one would work and I never was able to solve it and I finally just removed the card!
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies all =) Unfortunately I now have another problem. I got up this morning and tried to boot my slackware partition and it hangs. When I hit the linux option in LILO the "booting linux ........." gets through about half the dots and then just stops and sits there.
    Fortunately the windows partition still works, but I have to figure out what happened. The only thing I did that could have effected it was try to install the 2.6 kernel and modules and then uninstalling them (all using installpkg/pkgtool) when mkinitrd didn't work and i decided to read up a bit more before doing that.
    If anyone has suggestions on how to fix this or what happened that would be great

The only thing I did that could have effected it was try to install the 2.6 kernel and modules and then uninstalling them (all using installpkg/pkgtool) when mkinitrd didn't work and i decided to read up a bit more before doing that.
    What you did is NOT trivial! Be sure you READ the README instructions supplied with each kernel (HUGE, Testing, whatever) and make sure you get the mkinitrd correct. I say that because that's caused me some headaches in the past.

Why don't you just reinstall slack with the 2.4 and then upgrade the kernels from the CD's. Trying to unistall and all that can be a nightmare imo.

Just Joined!
    That's exactly what I did, which is why I wasn't expecting any problems I used the 2.6-smp kernel, headers, and modules from /extra on the dvd and followed the readme in there exactly.
    hehe I know it's not trivial, but I'm never going to learn how to do it if that stops me from ever trying it.

but I'm never going to learn how to do it if that stops me from ever trying it.
    By all means. Just as you can learn new things every time you do an install which is what I was implying because I read a lot of posts suggesting that reinstalling is not an experience and I happen to disagree. Anyway, I like your attitude.

Only thing I can suggest at this point is make sure you've got lilo configured correctly with the relevant kernel changes. I've had that bite me more than once.

Just Joined!
    Alright, I'll dig around and let you know what happens. I'll probably reinstall anyhow, I don't have all that much invested in the system yet so it shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks a lot for your help!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rong
    From Command Line:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Well I reinstalled and I'm reading some more stuff about kernel upgrades. The Readme for the standard 2.6 kernel seems pretty clear, but the Readme for the smp kernal is, terse, lol.

I tried the proc/cpuinfo and it recognizes my cpu and everything, but how do I know if it's acutally using both cores?

I assume that cpuinfo reports core 1 and core 2? I don't use dual core here but perhaps there is a linux app that provides more info than that. There are quite a few dual core users here on the forum so I expect you'll hear from one of them pretty soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast