Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
You do _not_ need to recompile your kernel. merely install the correct modules package...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

You do _not_ need to recompile your kernel.

merely install the correct modules package

Just Joined!
    If you have the first two install CDs for your Slack install, insert and mount the second one. chdir to that mount directory (should be /mnt/cdrom).

If you do ls you should see a directory called /extra. cd to it.

Do another ls and you should see a directory called something like /linux-2.6.17.13 (as memory serves). cd to that.

Do all of the following as root:

run installpkg *.tgz

This will install the 2.6 kernel along with modules, to your system.

Now, before you do ANYTHING else. cd to /boot and create an initrd to support your file system (I'm assuming reiserfs here).

Also create a symlink to your old working kernel ln -s linux-2.4.33 vmlinuz-old (substitute your correct kernel version where I put 2.4.33, you can use the command ls to see it)

mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.17.13 -m reiserfs (substitute your correct kernel version where I put 2.6.17.13, you can use the command ls to see it)

Now edit /etc/lilo.conf. just below the the line that reads image = /boot/vmlinuz

add the line initrd = /boot/initrd.gz

Add a new section so you can still boot your old working kernel if needed. Make it exactly the same as the original one, just leave out the initrd line and maybe make label = linux-old so you can tell one from the other)

save the file and run the command lilo

if you don't see any error messages you may now reboot into your new kernel which will probably support your card.

Got it working!!!

Well sorry to send you guys to all this trouble, but when I downloaded and installed the module it started working so THANK YOU for all your help!!!!

C@RL

(Oh and "MasonM" I already have kernel 2.6.20.2 installed but thanks anyway).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlwatkins
    Well sorry to send you guys to all this trouble, but when I downloaded and installed the module it started working so THANK YOU for all your help!!!!

C@RL

(Oh and "MasonM" I already have kernel 2.6.20.2 installed but thanks anyway).
    Glad ya found and fixed the problem. WTG. I'm running 2.6.20.4 with no problems at all.

What module did you have to download and install?

Well I'm not realy sure weather I realy needed the module but as far as I know it wasn't working before I compiled/installed it. This is the name of the module it's a 3Com "3c90x" it supports the 3c095c card.

C@RL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3