Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there a way to retrieve all the contents of /boot IF its proven that it was rm? ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

/boot contents removed

is there a way to retrieve all the contents of /boot IF its proven that it was rm? ?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

i don't understand you did a rm -rf /boot ? if yes there is no solution to retrieve it.
    if you mean that you want to boot your installed Slackware so please tell me i have a solution for that.

Linux Newbie
    actually not rm -rf

as far as i could remember i mounted /dev/hdc6 (/boot) into a created dir (bootest)

so its like

mount /dev/hdc6 /mnt/bootest

THEN from

/mnt

i did rm bootest

result :

cannot rm : device or source busy

> (back to prompt)

> i did umount /dev/hdc6 /mnt/bootest

> cd /mnt
    > rm -r bootest

is it really gone? ? ( i mean the /dev/hdc6 which is boot? )

actually not only /boot even /tmp /usr/ and /var

but i can still mount and read my /home and /

so everytime i try to mount /dev/hdc6 (boot) in a created dir, no files are seen when i do ls.. BUT when i type df -h

i can see the percentage of the usage of the /dev/hdc6

eg.
    size used available mounted on
    /dev/hdc6 100M 4% 96% /mnt/bootest (sample created dir)
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I still confused, you can mount / but you can see the /boot directory when mount / or not ?

Linux Newbie
    i forgot.. when i installed slack .. i separated :

/boot
    /tmp
    /usr
    /home
    /var
    /swap

from

/

for the reason if ever a problem will arise i can easily mount and umount the spcific partitions..

it seems that you still have the data (because you umount the /bootest befor delete it) but you should create a directory compatible with what you have in /etc/fstab and mount it so the data should appear again.

hope this help

Linux Newbie
    can u explain it further? i got confused .. thanks

During the install process of Slackware you mount /boot as something other than / so the /etc/fstab file should contain the proper information as an example.
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/SuSE reiserfs defaults 0 0

for me if i umount the /mnt/SuSE and delete it nothing happen to the SuSE data,if i want to mount it again we should create a directory called /mnt/SuSE to be compatible with fstab file
    so mkdir SuSE , and mount SuSE the suse data should appear again however if i create a directory called from example /mnt/suse and try to mount it so it give me a error that it's not in the fstab.
    so go to your fstab and see it and try to figure out what inside related to your boot directory.

hope this help