Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have been trying to get the newest kernel 2.6.20, everytime I compile a new kernel i have to reinstall the nvidia graphics driver. the last time i tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Compiling Kernel 2.6.20 and the NVIDIA driver

Hello, I have been trying to get the newest kernel 2.6.20, everytime I compile a new kernel i have to reinstall the nvidia graphics driver.

the last time i tried this I ran into a big problem.....

Here is what I did......

Booted the newly compiled kernel 2.6.20....

reinstalled nvidia driver....

Loaded kde...

No sound....

So I recompiled the kernel for sound.....

rebooted....

Now it will not install NVIDIA 9746 driver.......

It said something like:

you appear to be compiling the nvidia kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel.

I compiled the new kernel (2.6) from the kernel (2.4)
    do i have to keep my old kernel just for compiling a new kernel? or is there a workaround?

I am stumped.

Just Joined!
    sorry for question without answer. I also tried to compile 2.6.20 kernel. But I couldn't. In fact I was very tired and time was late but at the end I couldn't. When I search internet I saw a site illustrating Slackware installation. And I see there that man was choice the kernel from installation cdrom.

My question is that can I choose at the stage my 2.6.20 kernel which is at /home/etusch/kernel, and /home is a different partition

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ouellettesr
    Hello, I have been trying to get the newest kernel 2.6.20, everytime I compile a new kernel i have to reinstall the nvidia graphics driver.

the last time i tried this I ran into a big problem.....

Here is what I did......

Booted the newly compiled kernel 2.6.20....

reinstalled nvidia driver....

Loaded kde...

No sound....

So I recompiled the kernel for sound.....

rebooted....

Now it will not install NVIDIA 9746 driver.......

It said something like:

you appear to be compiling the nvidia kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel.

I compiled the new kernel (2.6) from the kernel (2.4)
    do i have to keep my old kernel just for compiling a new kernel? or is there a workaround?

I am stumped.
    Since it sounds like you recompiled your kernel, you will need to re-install your drivers. Try removing it using the --uninstall switch then re-install.