Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
As you may gather, I'm relatively new to Linux, learning all the time. When it comes to installations, packages are never a problem, but when it's a tarball with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face tar.gz installs

As you may gather, I'm relatively new to Linux, learning all the time. When it comes to installations, packages are never a problem, but when it's a tarball with the Makefile.in, I'm at a loss. The docs that come with the tarball ain't much help, either. I've got four years worth of Linux mag cover disks with software that I'd love to install, but to be honest, I have not got a clue!!

Can anybody point me in the direction of a suitable website to aid me in this predicament? Oh, and any idea where I can get more fonts?

Cheers,

K0RrUpT10N

Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Lightbulb Tarballs

Cheers Dark_Strang!

It seems to be you that replies to most of my posts! I checked out the sites, and it does seem to be a lot more concise than anything else I've looked at!

Personally I'm of the theory that the more difficult a system is, the more you learn in the process of setting it up! (Although a "Dummies Guide to..." never goes amiss!)

Thanx again!

K0RrUpT10n

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I did my discrete homework in about 5 minutes and I'm putting off my English 102 paper until the last second... I'm all over the internet today.
    (I can search google)

Question Talking of homework...

Answer me this...

Why, in the States do a lot of starter classes have 101 at the end? e.g. Nuclear Physics 101?

K

The 1 at the end means it's an intro into that particular subject or area. English 101 is an introductory writing course. Political Sciences 201 is an introductory course to (in my case) American Government.
    (I can search google)

Question 101, 102

So what does 201 mean? Is it an intermediate introduction??

I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but this is what I've found so far.

The first number is a very basic rating on how difficult the class is. The higher the first number the more difficult or more advanced the class. Around here they call them "levels."
    MAT115 - Calculus. It's a level 1 class.
    MAT302 - Discrete. It's a level 3 class.

The second two numbers are more along the lines of, how far into that particular field of study a person is. But this is also very general, because at my school in order to get into CSC368, you first had to take CSC375. However, if the class is x01, it's almost guaranteed to be an introductory course.
    CSC305 - Computer Science entrance assessment
    CSC325 - Java Programming 1
    CSC375 - Java Programming 2
    CSC368 - Systems Programming
    (I can search google)

Question Talking of Java...

Although my background is Networks & Servers, I recently paid a bit of change to do a Certified Course in Java Programming, and once again I've found Linux to be invaluable! Have you tried Eclipse for Java work? I have tested quite a few, and I'm not aware of any better prog, but then again I'm not exactly an expert. Have you come across anything better??

Eclipse is what I use for all my java work. I will probably end up using it for C++ when I start that again as well. And I use SciTE for all my web stuff.
    (I can search google)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast