Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Allright I got 3 installation CDs and I got few questions before installation: 1. If I choose to install XFCE do I have to configure the xorg.conf file myself (according ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Slackware installation process newbie questions

Allright I got 3 installation CDs and I got few questions before installation:

1. If I choose to install XFCE do I have to configure the xorg.conf file myself (according to section 6 of slackbook) during the installation process? Will x window be installed?

2. Is there a option to install GRUB too or is LILO only available?

3. Will I have fully working desktop enviroment based system If I go through setup programme and choose to instal XFCE?

4. Can I choose what kernel will be installed?

5. Have you got any tips for me?

What version? I'll have to assume version 11 since you didn't say. Version 11 has 6 CD's for the complete set and you may need Cd 4 and 5 for what you want to do (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspacho
    1. If I choose to install XFCE do I have to configure the xorg.conf file myself (according to section 6 of slackbook) during the installation process? Will x window be installed?
    Do a standard install and you'll start out with the 2.4 kernel, XFree86 and you'lll have the option(after the installartion) to use 7 differect X environments including XFCE which you can choose to use at any time by running xwmconfig from the command line.

2. Is there a option to install GRUB too or is LILO only available?
    Yes but it takes some work to set up. Probably be a lot easier if you install Grub after the Lilo install. I don't remember now which Cd Grub is on but it may be on CD 5. Anyway you'll have to unpack it and then build up the conf file, etc. Lot's of howto's for this once you're ready.

3. Will I have fully working desktop enviroment based system If I go through setup programme and choose to instal XFCE?
    Yes.

4. Can I choose what kernel will be installed?
    Yes, but I suggest you do the default install first which will be the 2.4 kernel. After everything is working you can choose to install any number of additional kernels that you'll find on CD's 3 and 4. I run 2.6.18. which happens to be on Cd 4. Once you get to the 2.6. kernels you'll get the newer Xorg server as well as the other benefits of the newer kernels.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Slackware doesnt use XFree86 but its fork XOrg.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    Slackware doesnt use XFree86 but its fork XOrg.
    Oops, I was thinking pre version 10. Thanks for the correction.

Re

Hey thx for answers!! Gonna try it all now just one more question: do i have to do this? :
    http://www.slackbook.org/html/x-window-system.html

appritiate all!

no all that tool does is edit the xorg.conf file which you can do manually and it doesnt seem to get things right.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

You'll only need to do xorg configurations if something like the mouse or video does not work properly. Editing the xorg.conf file manually is actually easier than trying to fix something by running xorgconfig.

Don't worry about it unless you have too

Re

Well yes I was thinking about that in case of problems. I was thinking of maby using some Live CD in case of problems to view its xorg.conf and then just use the same values after slackware installation if any problems. Would that work?

What I always do before editing any config file is simply make a copy of it: cp file file.bak.

Also note that when you install, and assuming you use the default sata.i kernel, you will have the option to make a boot floppy which is a good idea. The newer kernels however won't fit on a floppy.

Re

One more thing, I tried to install slackware, everything went smoothly but there was problem after reboot - no system disk found or something like that (not really sure though). I guess the problem was because I have chosen wrong kernel to be installed. I got HP nc6120 laptop and I dont know which kernel to choose. I have chosen the one that installer pointer was on (SATA) but I guess I dont have SATA disks. Any help with the choice would be appritiated. Thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast