Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just completed a fresh install of Slackware after deciding to give it a try. Previously I have used Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Mandrake and Susi. I seem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Internet following fresh install

I have just completed a fresh install of Slackware after deciding to give it a try. Previously I have used Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Mandrake and Susi. I seem to remember the other distros automatically configuring my cable broadband connection, however, Slackware has not. Could someone tell me how I go about configuring my cable broadband so I can access the net. Thanks for any help in advance.

try "netconfig"

Good luck

Linux User
    What is listed for your nic when you hit it with ifconfig?
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    What happens when you ping yourself?
    Code:
    /sbin/ping -c 3 127.0.0.1
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by atko View Post
    I have just completed a fresh install of Slackware after deciding to give it a try. Previously I have used Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Mandrake and Susi. I seem to remember the other distros automatically configuring my cable broadband connection, however, Slackware has not. Could someone tell me how I go about configuring my cable broadband so I can access the net. Thanks for any help in advance.

sometimes having an auto detect internet settings c/o your distro has good and bad advantages. .

good: no need to configure.. surf at once
    bad: you fail to learn the "howtos"

just solved my same situation as yours (in another thread) i am using slackware12.0 --planning to change it to 13.0 (soon..or just wait for 14 perhaps)

but i am using DSL. .

have you tried doing pppoe-setup?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9