Find the answer to your Linux question:
1. I downloaded Open Office - pretty a lot of rpms inside. Do I just make all of them to tgz and install or is there other way to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Few Slack questions

1. I downloaded Open Office - pretty a lot of rpms inside. Do I just make all of them to tgz and install or is there other way to install Open Office?

2. Is there need to do something like apt-get update is debs or yum update in others? Do I need to update Slack? Is there a soft for that?

Thx

oz
    forum.guy
    Probably the easiest thing is to get the package from http://www.linuxpackages.net and then use pkgtool to install it.
    oz

i got my openoffice.org package from installing slapt-get which gets it for you and installs through pkgtool. look up slapt-get and install gslapt with it and you can find the software updates you need through it. gslapt has to be run as root as far as i know. its handy to have but as far as necessary that is up to the user some people are just as familiar with linuxpackages.net to use it directly, for the slapt-get uses linuxpackages.net as a repository. slapt-get is the equivalent to apt-get and gslapt is the Gui front end that you can use. some people use swaret as a package manager but i cannot give advice on it as i have not used it.

ps if there isnt a tgz file out there on linuxpackages.net you can use the command line tool rpm2tgz to convert the rpm to tgz and install with pkgtools.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Re

One more thing, I have compiled several programmes in Slackware 11. Can I somehow retrieve the .tgz file from compiling process to share it with the community for example?

You get to keet the original .tgz file, and you can delete it or store it somewhere. Or isn't that what you ment?

Also, I was able to rpm the OpenOffice.org onto my system using the --nodeps flag. I did have to make all the links manually.