Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very new to Linux and I was wondering, is there a very very newbie walkthrough for creating and installing a package. If so, could someone post it or write ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating and installing packages

I'm very new to Linux and I was wondering, is there a very very newbie walkthrough for creating and installing a package. If so, could someone post it or write one out. I am generally trying to learn for the sake of learning and so I can install stuff manually.

Here is a linuxpackages howto: http://www.linuxpackages.net/howto.p...=Package+Howto

You could also look into checkinstall. I only seem to be able to find tutorials for making rpm's or deb's but I'm kinda tired so my searching skills right now are sub-par .

Post back if you have any problems.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    So I downloaded firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz, and I was curious if you could walk me through an install. I'm assuming that the method that you will go through will work on all .tar.gz files.

you dont have to 'install' FireFox. right click on tar.gz file and select 'Extract here'. this will create a 'FireFox' folder. open Folder and look for file 'firefox' in it. double click on 'firefox' file. FireFox 2.0.0.3 window will pop up. create 'symlink' of 'firefox' file on Desktop or in Menu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I assume you are wanting to know how to compile and install your packages. checkinstall works well for this and is found in /extra

Do a standard compile using the normal commands

./configure (assuming there is a configure included)

make

and instead of make install do checkinstall

This will create a Slackware package ready for installation.