Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I just have a quick question. What version of Slackware started coming with fluxbox in the install cds? I'm looking at building a linux box for my friend ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Which version has fluxbox?

Hi everybody,

I just have a quick question.

What version of Slackware started coming with fluxbox in the install cds?

I'm looking at building a linux box for my friend on a machine built from old parts that I have lying around. The reason I need an earlier release is that I am trying to save HDD space (I only have a 6 Gig sitting around) and still keep alot of the functionality.

Any help would be greatly appreciate,

Thanks,
    Shattered

Just Joined!
    I honestly can't remember when Fluxbox started being included with Slack, but I see no reason why you can't use the recent release of Slack.

To save space simply don't install what you don't need. Leaving out KDE will save a lot of space. You don't need to use an old release just to save space.

Just install Slack 11 and choose what you want installed and what you don't.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, I can tell you right now that you only need the first CD! I've installed Slackware many times and in many different configurations, if you only install A, AP, L and X with a few things from N and XAP you'll still come in around 800MB. Generally I also install a few things from D so that I can compile, and still come in just below 1GB. You shouldn't have any trouble using Slack 11 with 6GB and still have space left for personal stuff.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, I'm running Slack 11 with KDE and Dropline Gnome installed, along with Beryl and xgl and am still a bit under 6GB, including a LOT of image files.

A base install of 11 without KDE will come in under the 1GB mark.