Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using slackware 9.0. I have 2wire wireless pcmcia card. When I plug the card in and do /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up. I see the light on the wireless card come on. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Card

Using slackware 9.0. I have 2wire wireless pcmcia card. When I plug the card in and do /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up. I see the light on the wireless card come on. IN addition to that, I can see the loaded modules which are orinoco and orinoco_cs. These modules have the same name as those used on ubuntu. So I know the card is detected and the proper modules are loaded.

But when I do /sbin/dhclient eth0 to attempt to connect to an wireless point, I get eth0: not found. But after doing ifconfig, I can see eth0 listed. Whats wrong?

btw, the same thing happens when I attempt to connect to an ethernet connection (eth0: not found).

--thanks

Just Joined!
    Firstly, why are you using such an old version? The current release is 11.

Anyway, Slack uses the normal name convention for a wireless card. It should be wlan0.

Try the command iwconfig wlan0 to see the card's configuration

to bring it up:

ifconfig wlan0 up

dhcpcd wlan0

Just Joined!
    iwconfig wlan0 gives me no such device. Running iwconfig by itself tells me info about my wireless card - The nickname, ESSID, etc. SO I guess slack has it listed under eth0.

When I run dhcpcd eth0, I get no output. I have to kill the command by doing ctrl-c. My wireless connection is protected by a password.

So I guess the problem is now how would I specify the access point to connect to and the passkey?

Just Joined!
    Have a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf and /etc/rc.wireless.conf

I'd really suggest installing the newer release or you can expect continued hardware related issues. There's a lot of improvements in Slack 11 over what you're trying to use now.

Just Joined!
    I dont have those directories. Cant I just do it with slack 9?

EDIT: I did it using the command line - iwconfig
    Where would this configuration be stored? I mean the essid, key and so on?

Just Joined!
    Just install the new release and get rid of the headaches. You're fighting a losing battle trying to run an old OS on modern hardware.