Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am in dire need of assistance! I just installed ZipSlack on my machine. I dosn't come with X so I downloaded their chosen distro Xfree86. The file I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X server missing fonts?

Hello,

I am in dire need of assistance!

I just installed ZipSlack on my machine. I dosn't come with X so I downloaded their chosen distro Xfree86.

The file I grabbed was xfree86-4.4.0-i486-3.tgz

I installed it with the command 'installpkg' then ran 'xf86config'. Everything went nicely.

The problem comes when I try the command 'startx'

The screen flashes twice then the x-server exits with a complaint that it can't find any fonts.

I checked the directory it's looking in and right enough, there's no fonts. There isn't even a 'font' folder.

Was I supposed to download those seperately (I didn't see any font files) or did I just scrote-up the installation somehow?

I'm a bit of a newb so any advice would be _gratefully_ recieved...

Cheers,

Just Joined!
    what can i say it happens or you are missing a few dependencies yeah your missing a few dependencies just get some fonts from online and put them in /usr/X11R6/fonts directory then eit /etc/XF86config or XF86Config-4 and put the font locations in that file. good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help doppleganger. I've found a local ftp with an xfree86 mirror on so I'll give that a stab tomorrow.

Funny old way to distribute it tho...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close