Find the answer to your Linux question:
In the past, my only real experience with a full-fledged Linux distro has been RedHat, which sometimes pisses me off. You can't watch any video files because of legal issues ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Movies in Slackware

In the past, my only real experience with a full-fledged Linux distro has been RedHat, which sometimes pisses me off. You can't watch any video files because of legal issues unless you download xine, but my computer won't load either that or mplayer or any of the other media players except for those that came with my installation. (long story short I can't watch movies with RedHat!)Anyways, I recently download ZipSlack and booted up with it and I thought it totally kicked ass! So, I'm considering converting to Slackware. But my main question is how easy is it to watch movie/video files in Slackware?(i.e. do I have to download five million plugins and add-ons from the internet?)
    Please give me good news!
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    ehem its easy to watch movies on any distro usually this is based on user skill level, as for slackware it does come with the xine dvd player and mplayer i am almost 99% sure it does not come with libdvdcss which you would need just to decrypt the dvd's but no distro does. to my knowledge, If you are going to use slackware just be sure that you read up on it and also that you know how to configure your own X server. The tutorials are in the forum, google for anything else

Linux Guru
    its easy enough if you dont mind spending a little time getting it setup right.

As doppleganger said, slackware doesnt come with libdvdcss, you will need to download and install this libary first. Once you have that, go and grab the slackware package for xine from mirror.ac.uk. or download and compile from source.

Jason

doppleganger

ehem its easy to watch movies on any distro usually this is based on user skill level
    I know that it is supposed to be easy to do with any distribution doppleganger, but my computer was having problems with RedHat in general.