Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out if we can use Gnome 2.18.0 (sure we can) under Slackware 11.0 . so my question is does anybody knows the best solution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome Under Slackware 11.0

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if we can use Gnome 2.18.0 (sure we can) under Slackware 11.0 . so my question is does anybody knows the best solution to use it ? in the LinuxPackages: View there is no recent gnome package .

If not i'm going to compile the source code ,i already downloaded from the official gnome site.

Cheers.

i wish Pat would bring back gnome i used KDE and frankly got sick of it after a while. I don't even remember his original reason for dropping it in the first place. however dropline gnome is a version specifically for Slackware.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I used to compile GNOME from source on Slack, although I found the process a lot harder than compiling KDE from source. You can also use the packages from dropline, gware or freerock, but unfortunately non of them are at version 2.18 yet.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti View Post
    i wish Pat would bring back gnome i used KDE and frankly got sick of it after a while. I don't even remember his original reason for dropping it in the first place. however dropline gnome is a version specifically for Slackware.
    One of the reasons he dropped it is because GNOME can be a pain to compile from source and build into binaries. The build process for KDE is not as complicated and he could reuse a lot of his old build scripts whereas that wasn't always the case with GNOME.

Thanks carlosponti for the Link, i prefer gnome because it's a gtk+ based.

For the compiling from source code ,yes it's a pain,the configure script for each package gives you some ohter requirements !!! and when you try to compile those other it gives others,and so on,plus the number of individual package that you have to compile.i'm going to try to compile it but not in my laptop ,in another machine because i have a lot of important data under Slack and the compiling procces needs to remove some packages and install recent version of them,if i manage to compile it i'll post here.

Cheers

Many Thanks.