Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to change kde window manager. xwmconfig changes the desktop manager....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Window Manager

I want to change kde window manager.

xwmconfig changes the desktop manager.

Linux Engineer
    Change what to what? What exactly do you wish to change?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Newbie
    I want to use other than Kwin.
    Someone told me to run
    metacity --replace & when kde is running
    I get command not found

Please suggest something.

metacity seems to be not installed in your Slackware.

As i understood you want to change your windows manager so go to /etc/inittab in this file switch to runlevel 3 there is a line put 3 instead of 4.
    # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:

after you can add any command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run any ohter windows manager.

Hope this help.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    metacity seems to be not installed in your Slackware.

As i understood you want to change your windows manager so go to /etc/inittab in this file switch to runlevel 3 there is a line put 3 instead of 4.
    # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:

after you can add any command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run any ohter windows manager.

Hope this help.
    That's just bad advice! Don't mess with anything in /etc/rc.d, and definately do not mess with /etc/inittab!

The file you should check is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which will be a symlink to another file in the same folder, that file is what starts your stuff. However, KDE uses a session manager, which takes care of starting all software for you, including the window manager. I don't know KDE that well, but there should be an option somewhere that allows you do so, and someone here probably knows. DO NOT follow the previous advice!
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Nice reply your are too much stressed, probably you have no idea about Slackware, first the question was to disable KDM, so he should change the run level. second he want's to use metacity, like XFCE he can use this Desktop without need for a Windows manager, like startxfce.

I know very well that you can use KDM to browse any Desktop environment.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    Nice reply your are too much stressed, probably you have no idea about Slackware, first the question was to disable KDM, so he should change the run level. second he want's to use metacity, like XFCE he can use this Desktop without need for a Windows manager, like startxfce.

I know very well that you can use KDM to browse any Desktop environment.
    Actually I probably know more about it then you seeing as I've installed and built packages to it many times.

First off, he doesn't want to disable KDM, he wants to not start KWM, KDE's official window manager. All DEs, including KDE, uses a session manager, which is where the change needs to be made.

Second off, rc.local is an init script and has nothing to do with X applications! Init scripts are used to start software on the background, like when rc.hotplug starts hotplug, rc.inet1 sets up the network, etc. In fact, rc.local will start jobs even when no user is logged in.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion