Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux/ACPI - Download "Then go to General Setup -> ACPI Support and tick the options you need." I want to hibernate the system. What am I supposed to do next ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Acpi

Linux/ACPI - Download

"Then go to General Setup -> ACPI Support and tick the options you need."

I want to hibernate the system.
    What am I supposed to do next after that statement mentioned on the page?

Ok if you already patch you kernel make the bzImage make the modules and install them, then next step it's to load the modules, you can edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local and enter the following.

modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    modprobe cpufreq_powersave
    modprobe battery
    modprobe processor
    modprobe button
    modprobe ac
    modprobe thermal

And the you'll be able to switch the cpu frequency ,monitor the battery & the termal zone,and hibernate/suspend the system.

to suspend the system to the memory:
    echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

to hibernate:
    echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state

once you done this and you still have some question to enable the hotkey and to write some script to run it before suspending or to enable the lid switch please post here.

Hope this help.

Linux Newbie
    sorry, its not clear.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    First have you compiled your kernel with ACPI support ?

Linux Enthusiast
    You don't need to compile a new kernel, Slackware's CD has a pre-compiled kernel in there called
    Code:
    bareacpi.i
    You'll obviously need to configure LILO to use that kernel once it's copied into /boot!

After installing the new kernel, you should just need to follow the general instructions to get ACPI working.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Can you tell me please if i install for example a kernel from /kernels of the Slackware DVD how i can get the modules from this kernel ? please tell me i don't know.

the only one solution to avoid compiling a kernel it's to install the kernel in /extra/linux-2.6.17.13 and install the linux-modules-2.6.17.13 and then add a entry to lilo.

and then follow the instruction to load the acpi modules a configure them.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    Can you tell me please if i install for example a kernel from /kernels of the Slackware DVD how i can get the modules from this kernel ? please tell me i don't know.
    Every kernel on the CD will use the same modules (except the 2.6.x kernels). So any kernel in /kernel will use kernel-modules-2.4.33.3 mainly because they are all built from the same tree. So if you want a new kernel, that isn't a 2.6 series, all you have to do is install that particular kernel and the modules will all still be the same.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Quote Originally Posted by bidi View Post
    So any kernel in /kernel will use kernel-modules-2.4.33.3 mainly because they are all built from the same tree.
    That's what i'm waiting , Very good,and you know the modules installed by Slackware are without Acpi support, so or he has to compile a kernel with acpi modules or he has to use the kernel from /extra wish has the acpi modules and that's exactly what i was saying.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    That's what i'm waiting , Very good,and you know the modules installed by Slackware are without Acpi support, so or he has to compile a kernel with acpi modules or he has to use the kernel from /extra wish has the acpi modules and that's exactly what i was saying.
    Oh man, will you just stop? Do you even know why the kernel is name bareacpi.i? That's because it's the same as bare.i with ACPI support, hence bareacpi.i! This info is actually on the CD under /README.TXT, all you have to do is read it. You know that only leads me to think you have no idea what you're talking about, as this info is actually on the install process.

Probably there is a misunderstanding some where, I know the bareacpi.i it's with a acpi support ,but it's build inside the kernel,normally i don't prefer to have a large kernel image,and i prefer the drive to be separateed as a module, that's why only. look i don't know why we are speaking in not a polite way (me and you), but i know my way i have been use Slackware since 5 years,and in my work we are using Slackware and the responsible of it's maintenance it's me and my friend, so our experience convinced us to have the modules separate. and when i make a post here i was speaking about the module drivers not the kernel images.

And also this forum it's to discuss not to fight.

Cheers.