Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Slackware 11 with LiLo on a disk that as previously used for Fedora with GRUB. Once the install is complete and I reboot the box it passes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot stops with "GRUB" text

I have installed Slackware 11 with LiLo on a disk that as previously used for Fedora with GRUB. Once the install is complete and I reboot the box it passes post and I see the LiLo box. Once I preceed all I get thern is the text "GRUB" on the screen and the boot process stops.

The system will boot from floppy disk and I am wondering how I can fix the boot error so I can boot from the hard disk, perhaps by rewriting the MBR to erase the GRUB entry.

Any help will be muck appreciated

Cheers

Peter

is it throwing GRUB error on selecting both OSes? you can use SuperGRUB Floppy to remove GRUB but i dont think that will sort out problem.
    where did you install GRUB?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

More info

Thanks devils_casper for your reply

I didn't install GRUB as I inherited the disk with multiple boot to Fedora 2, windows 2000 and Win98 using GRUB as the bootloader.

What I have done is to delete the old partitions and repartitioned it with fdisk. I then installed Slackware 11 which uses LiLo, this was the only bootloader I had the option to use.

I am teaching Intro to Linux and the reason I have elected to use Slackware is that it is one of the few distro's that uses the old install process. In that the user no option other than to partition the disk, format it and create the mounts points.

My problem is that I cannot give it to students to install if I cannot get it to install correctly myself so am suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peter

GRUB is still stored in the MBR and MBR is not a part of Partitions. deleting partitions doesn't remove GRUB. you have to remove GRUB manually.
    Lilo should have removed GRUB but i think you have installed Lilo in boot sector of root/boot partition (/dev/hdax ) instead of MBR (/dev/hda ).

boot up from Installation CD and re-install lilo in MBR ( /dev/hda ).

Just Joined!

Superblock

Hi

The bootable partition is hda1 and from memory I install Lilo in the default location which is in the superblock not the MBR so I gather LiLo is in my / (HDA1) not the MBR. I do have a boot floppy and I seem to distantly remember that there is a few options that will let you re-write the MBR from a floppy. I will give that a go tomorrow and if all else fails I will reinstall and put the LiLo in the MBR.

Thanks again.

you can remove GRUB/restore Lilo to MBR through SuperGRUB Floppy too. here is a bit more details.