Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I can’t get backtrack 2 live cd to work, when I use startx after logging in I get this error: Xauth: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/x11R6/lib/libXau.so.6: invalid elf ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backtrack 2 live cd problem!!

Hi, I can’t get backtrack 2 live cd to work, when I use startx after logging in I get this error:

Xauth: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/x11R6/lib/libXau.so.6: invalid elf header

/usr/x1R6/bin/Xauth: : error while loading shared libraries: /usr/x11R6/lib/libXau.so.6: invalid elf header

x: : error while loading shared libraries: /usr/x11R6/lib/libXau.so.6: invalid elf header

Giving up

/usr/x1R6/bin/Xinit: connection refuse (error 111): unable to connect to x server

/usr/x1R6/bin/Xinit: no such process (error 3) server error

/usr/x1R6/bin/Xauth: : error while loading shared libraries: /usr/x11R6/lib/libXau.so.6: invalid elf header

/usr/x1R6/bin/startx: line 183: /usr/bin/deallocut: cannot execute binary file

I think it’s a graphics card problem, this is my second encounter with linux so “total noob” please be gentle ,
    Thought bt is a good idea to practice + good hacking tools.

im using acer Ferrari 3400, ati radeon 9700

any suggestions?

is there any way to install bt on hdd alongside vista?will this solve the problem?
    thx

Just Joined!
    did u type xconf before u typed startx? check if the cd is burned right try it on a differendt computer if the same happens try to reburn it. That has never happened to me with BT2

or try xconf then flux or fluxbox to see if u can start fluxbox

Just Joined!
    tnx for ur reply

ok you say “That has never happened to me with BT2” I get from that u have the same hardware (Ferrari laptop)?, i tried the cd in another laptop which worked fine no problems, burned it again @ 4x to be sure, tried xconf b4 startx it was an improvement but didn’t work either error or black screen that hangs also tried flux, ati, xorgsetup nothing works…..one thing I noticed….i have 2 types of errors and i get different error each session depending on the first command (not sure tho)…., sometimes it just tries to work and get me a black screen then crashes or hangs…..anyway it seems to be xserver problem which ill assume ati problem for now. I read something about ati.lzm but I dunno how to use it or where to get it (wiki broken link), Im certain I have to install some ati driver …..for now ill try to get my correct vsync, hsync right and configure xorg it might work.

As u can see im desperate …..plz help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mx77 View Post
    tnx for ur reply

ok you say “That has never happened to me with BT2” I get from that u have the same hardware (Ferrari laptop)?, i tried the cd in another laptop which worked fine no problems, burned it again @ 4x to be sure, tried xconf b4 startx it was an improvement but didn’t work either error or black screen that hangs also tried flux, ati, xorgsetup nothing works…..one thing I noticed….i have 2 types of errors and i get different error each session depending on the first command (not sure tho)…., sometimes it just tries to work and get me a black screen then crashes or hangs…..anyway it seems to be xserver problem which ill assume ati problem for now. I read something about ati.lzm but I dunno how to use it or where to get it (wiki broken link), Im certain I have to install some ati driver …..for now ill try to get my correct vsync, hsync right and configure xorg it might work.

As u can see im desperate …..plz help

hey that link is down but on they're other site they have it too Offensive-Security.com - Professional Security
    (the direct link is http://www.offensive-security.com/modules/ati.lzm )

well i dont have the same hardware so sorry there i missed that when i read. i dont really know what the problem might be but try to download that module and see if it works if not ask on the Back|Track forums ( Remote Exploit Forums - Powered by vBulletin ) and with the live cd after you type xconf then startx and get a black screen (that ur screen will probly say no signal) see if anything happens after like a min or 2 to let things load and if its still in that black screen and doesnt take you back to the terminal then it must mean that it loaded but the resolution isnt set yet so you can press Ctrl + Alt + Plus (+) that will change the resolution to a bigger size try doing that like 10 or 15 times wit a lil pause between each time you do it (to let it load) and if ur screen is the problem then that will make u see the desktop right click and go to configure (the last option forgot what its called) and change the screen size under "display" there to the size that you have. that usually works for me