Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I was thinking of experimenting with Compiz or Beryl . I have an ATI Rage128 Pro Ultra TF AGP card and I wanted to see what the minimum ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Minimum requirements for "Compiz"????

Hello all,
    I was thinking of experimenting with Compiz or Beryl. I have an ATI Rage128 Pro Ultra TF AGP card and I wanted to see what the minimum requirements/ dependencies etc..etc.. Or if it was even possible with that card??? Any opinions or ideas are appreciated, thanx...

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's some info on what's needed for beryl:

[Phoronix] GPUs & Beryl: What is Needed?
    oz

Are you using Slackware, are you going to change to Xorg6.9 to Xorg 7.1 ?
    are you going to compile from the source code of just using a compiled version for Slack, i want to use beryl but i'm afraid to damage my sytem if i make the move from xorg 6.9 to xorg 7.1 ,probably it'll not dangerous but since i have a lot of data, compiled packages,dropline gnome,etc....

if any one has try beryl with Slackware please tell me.

Just Joined!
    At the moment, I use Slackware 11, which uses Xorg-6.9. I don't like Gnome nor do I like KDE. In fact I use Fluxbox and I work alot from the command line by way of terminal emulators such as Aterm. I like to take advantage of the transparency available to me. However, I do like the greater depth of transparency available through Compiz or Beryl. To answer your other question, I like to compile everything mostly from source code and edit my own scripts ...

Yes me also i have a lot of packages compiled by my self, and also i'm a GTK programmer . i want to have the experience with beryl ,this is a wiki about how to do it Install Beryl on Slackware - Beryl Wiki, but i'm not going to do it unless somebody tell me that it's safe.

the problem of Slack packages it's doesn't gives you dependencies error during the install / remove, but i'm still very happy with this powerful OS .

Cheers.

Compiz is not working well (at least for my i915GM vga) , i installed Slack 12 RC (in a separate partition) with kde configuring the xorg.conf to use composite extension but the effect are strange for exmaple if i type a command in a terminal nothing appear unless i minimize and maximize again and so on.

for the instance i'm not going to change the xorg my slack 11 , but i'll give a try once the official slack 12 will be released.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

What i don't understand is why the compiz effects won't work under Slackware 12 (i mean basically Xorg 7.2 ) and in my Scientific Linux works great , what can do the difference ,i'm trying to figure out which package /s make that difference.

Any Idea !!!!
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Here's some info on what's needed for beryl:

[Phoronix] GPUs & Beryl: What is Needed?
    This link is over whelmingly a commercial AD website most links connect to e-storefronts, unless you are using a newer card don't bother.

I am running an older ATI Rage Pro AGP X2 32mb card on PC100 PIII600e in Slackware12 w/ 1600X1200 LCD Monitor, which requires composite and aside from figuring out how to configure everything so hal is happy Xcomposite works. Cant say how well since I am still post install configuring. /etc/X11/xorgconf requires editing in a specific format which I don't know, also hal requires /home/user be added to some device group scheme, I don't know how but from man pages its correct over installing sudo if u want to maintain /root security integrity??? "Composite has to be added to xorgconf". Here is a link to drivers Xorg has developed:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-H...o.html#AEN8870