Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Slack 11 and xbuntu on two partitions, Slack on sda1 and xbuntu on sda2, However my xubuntu has the grub boot, I want to delete xubuntu and boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    fvs
    Linux Newbie

Booting with Grub?

I have Slack 11 and xbuntu on two partitions, Slack on sda1 and xbuntu on sda2,
    However my xubuntu has the grub boot, I want to delete xubuntu and boot from Slack 11, How do I go about switching boot loader?

Execute lilo OR grub-install /dev/sda ( in case you are using GRUB ) command in Slacks Konsole. it will erase Xubuntu GRUB and re-install Lilo/GRUB of Slacks.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Careful because Slack by default install lilo,and you will have to install grub wish is in /extra directory ,and after that edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst . another thing might be useful for you is Grub wish is in the Slack DVD is compiled and packaged without graphics support, so you'll have to use a graphical patch support and after compiled it again, another solution is possible it's to download any grub rpm package from (Fedora,SLC5,....) and do rpm2tgz the name of the package after that install it.

Cheers.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov
    Careful because Slack by default install lilo
    thats why i suggested executing lilo command.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov
    and you will have to install grub wish is in /extra directory ,and after that edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst . another thing might be useful for you is Grub wish is in the Slack DVD is compiled and packaged without graphics support, so you'll have to use a graphical patch support and after compiled it again, another solution is possible it's to download any grub rpm package from (Fedora,SLC5,....) and do rpm2tgz the name of the package after that install it.
    if fvs was using GRUB in Slackware before installing Xubuntu, then no need to compile or install anything except executing 'grub-install /dev/sda'.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Yes Yes i know what you said devils_casper, but just to provide more information (because ha wanted to use Grub and not Lilo),and if he wants a graphic support,he has or to compile and patched grub,or to make one from a RPM package.

Cheers,
    Archost.

fvs
    Linux Newbie

Smile Update! Solved.

Hi Guy's, Devils casper, it worked as your instructions said (grub-install /dev/sda)
    however I had to edit the /boot/grub file. All I did was to add the kernel version and
    comment out a few things that were not relevant to boot loading.
    aliov, I had already installed grub from Slackware.com package, All is cool.
    Thanks Guy's for the help.

Ok,that's very nice, but one question please are you able to have a image in the Grub boot menu,i know that is not important but without the grub menu looks very ugly,

Cheers.
    Archost.

fvs
    Linux Newbie
    Never tried to get image, How's that done?
    Thank you in advance.
    fvs

As i told you to avoid compiling grub and patch it ,get one of the rpms packages from any distribution you like transform it to Slack packages using rpm2tgz grub-0.97.rpm , remove the Slack installed grub by using removepkg (if you don't know the name exactly go to /var/log/packages and have a look ), sure make a backup of menu.lst and after install grub , onces you've done run the script grub-install /dev/hda or whatever ,for the image there is a lot of images on the web you can use them and also you can make own .

Cheers.
    Archost.