Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I updated my cups in my Slackware using slackpkg upgrade cups and everything went fine. but when i want to open the cPanel® i can open it but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cups printing system update

Hi all,

I updated my cups in my Slackware using slackpkg upgrade cups and everything went fine.
    but when i want to open the cPanel® i can open it but i can't choose any of that options (managed printers,adminstrator,....) it gives me firefox unable to open page, but if go to /etc/rc.d and do the following :
    ./rc.cups stop
    ./rc.cups start
    everything works fine (using my local printer and my lpd printers ) after that, however the cups boot script of cups is executable by the rc.M in each boot and shutdown by the rc.6 !
    sure i didn't forget to overwrite the script with the new one

Any idea.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Yeah, I believe I do.

I'm running on Ubuntu atm and I have accidentally deleted my notes taken as root in the process. So of the top of my head...

Slack uses a slightly different approach to the boot process. The defaults for your printer driver may therefore be out of sync with cups. Manually starting and stopping does the trick, but then why would you need a computer if you where to do things manually

I don't know where (lost my notes, that's gonna be a problem when I return to Slack), but somewhere along the process one program looks for another program in the wrong directory. This has to do with the boot sequence and directory structure, and that is why it does work when you start|stop manually.

Once you find it, there are two solutions. Either edit the script to look in the right directory, or move the files to the other directory.

I was a bit off, but perhaps not by a lot. I found an old note:

After reboot I had to run /etc/init.d/hplip restart and /etc/init.d/cups restart again. It worked fine after that again. But it seemed not to load at boottime. I opened up /etc/rc.d/rc.M and found the bootscript was looking for /etc/rc.d/rc.hplip in vein.

After a system search I found there was no rc.hplip anywhere. So I pointed rc.M to /etc/init.d/hplip (start). [/problem]

--------

This isn't the exact same situation as you describe, but some similarity is a possibility.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thx for your reply.

I downloaded the cups package from the current slackware and extract it only using explodepkg cups-(version) i found that this new version is compiled with dbus support and this exactly the problem.

to solve this problem i had to run /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start exactly after the rc.dbus is executed (i have dropline gnome instead of kde using dbus ) and everything works fine without need to configure the printers that i'm using, and sure putting an entry in the rc.6 to stop cups.

That's why i adore Slackware ,because it's very easy to configure and detect problems.

Cheers
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.