Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i'm pretty sure you'd be able to install zenwalk without xfce (as far as i can recall the last time i tried it, it installed using a similar procedure to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i'm pretty sure you'd be able to install zenwalk without xfce (as far as i can recall the last time i tried it, it installed using a similar procedure to slackware's, in which packages could be selected or unselected) but i'm not sure that you'd want to, given that zenwalk is basically a polished xfce desktop on a slightly modified slackware: i guess the package management could be a reason for doing so.

in terms of "plenty of install options", you can't really have it both ways: either you have lots of options and so lots of work (at the very least, selecting among them, but probably also configuring various things to fit with them) or you pick a ready-made setup that you like (zenwalk, ubuntu, or whatever) and just sit back and let the installer set it up for you. since you prefer minimal installs and then adding on the various bits and pieces you like, you're already with a very good distro for that (slackware)...maybe the best one!

on the other hand, your wanting a "good package management system" maybe suggests slackware isn't such a good fit to your requirements. personally i like slackware's simple, manage-your-packages-yourself approach, but i do get that this can be a pain in the arse if you're pressed for time and have lots of different (or rapidly changing) systems to maintain: sometimes it's nice to just select a package you want and have automated tools take care of the dependencies and configuration and so on. in that case, apt is good (and if you don't like ubuntu's limiting your install options, you could try its parent os, debian, which would let you install a fluxbox desktop or whatever you want). gentoo's portage is also very good, although in different ways. portage is probably the best way to manage your packages if you prefer to build them from source. like debian, gentoo will certainly let you install a minimal linux setup and build on that, if that's your preference.

so many choices! i recommend staying with slackware and learning to get the most out of it (maybe with third-party package management tools?) but the beauty of linux is you can do whatever the heck you like.

p.s: sorry this is drifting a bit off the how-to-uninstall-php topic!

Yeah, the complaints I have with slackware are all pretty mild in compared to what I love about it. Besides the php being difficult (and thats not a slackware specific problem) and having not as many packages that I would like, my biggest complaint is having to type all the suffixes to a package name with slapt-get lol. Silly, I know, but I'd rather ask for a package called php4.4.4 instead of the slackware approach, which is usually something like php-4.4.4-i486-1kjz or similar. I mean, it dosnt exactly roll off the fingers, and <tab> dosnt auto finish what youve started.

But I guess slack is the distro for me if thats all I have to complain about.
    Living the digital dream....
    Disclaimer: I may be wrong since I was once before.
    Breathe out so I can breathe you in ~~Everlong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2