Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Me and my group managed to successfully install slackware and get it running but we are unable to access the filesystem and the flash drive with ipmasking software for my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware security help

Me and my group managed to successfully install slackware and get it running but we are unable to access the filesystem and the flash drive with ipmasking software for my project. The flash drive is in the /media file and I tried to mount /dev/media and it cannot find it in fstab. This is the fun part, I try to go into the filesystem to add the entry into the fstab file and I cannot even access the file system. I am logged in as root and when I try to click on the storage media it geves me the error message "A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to the recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal") Do I need some kind of program or utility from freedesktop or can I change the security policy? can anyone help me out?

this is the Slackware 12 RC2 ?

you need to mount the usb ?

so insert the usb key and type.
    tail -s 3 -f /var/log/messages

see the name of the inode usb devise (suppose it'll be /dev/sda1)

wherever you want make a directory called USB for example ( mkdir USB)

mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 USB or vfat is you use fat32.

hope this help
    Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kd2323 View Post
    Do I need some kind of program or utility from freedesktop or can I change the security policy? can anyone help me out?
    There is two variants:
    1. Manually add device to /etc/fstab
    2. Use this program: How to use USB flash drive with Slackware Linux. This is tested with Slackware 12.0.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

happyslacker reply

I have already made the appropriate entry in fstab and with some work I am able to access my flash drive but it is a lot more difficult then it should be. Right now I am not really worried about the flash drive issue because the removable hard drive I use at school was stolen so I have no way of working on Slackware until my instructor brings in the project machines. Right now I am on a school comp and I'm not about to put it on my laptop.

Linux Newbie
    get slax until you install slackware

Just Joined!

littledrop reply

To be honest I have never hard of it. I'll have to do some research on it. I might be able to snag another hard drive from financial aid since they got a new shipment in and just re-install slackware. Now I find out that I won't be able to do my xbox project because I don't get to choose my own capstone project but yet everyone from CAD and CEET get to choose their own projects. I'll work something out with the program chair and the dean.

Just Joined!

Linux is awesome

You know Linux is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced. I have been struggling with my USB problem for a little while now and all I had to do was make a new user account. For some reason I couldn't access it in root but my new account accesses my flash drive without a problem. Now if i could only get the NIC drivers installed. I use ethtool to show me the driver for the NIC and it says it is not listed. I have the driver from the broadcom website but forsome reason it wont load the driver... weird stuff. Maybe Slackware doesn't like braodcom.

Driver and NIC info:
    Broadcom tg3 Linux driver Version 3.71b
    NIC: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controler

ifconfig info:
    Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:560 (560.0b) TX bytes:560 (560.0)

If anyone out there is using the same card with the same drivers let me know how you got it working. Thx.

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    Maybe you should load them in the kernel

In principle there no difference between Distro about the Hardwares since all of them insert the required modules from the Kernel.

wish Broadcam chipset you have ? also did you make the rc.wireless.conf executable ?

Regards
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    It's funny. It turns out that tg3.c, tg3.h, and tg3.ko are already there but for some reason it would never go to those files. I was doing some exploring and found the rc.inet1.conf file and used it to configure a static ip address and it worked. My NIC is enabled but I still cannot access internet resources. I run ifconfig and the link encap: Local Loopback is still set to the defaults and I am assuming that is what is keeping me from total victory. right now I am in the ifcfg-lo file in the /ect/sysconfig/network-scripts directory and I am thinking that if I edit that file with specific ip info it would solve my problem but i don't know what ip info I should give it. Should it be different from the info in inet1.conf?

ifcfg-lo:
    BOOTPROTO-none
    ONBOOT=yes
    USERCTL=no
    NAME=lo
    IPADDR=127.0.0.1
    NETMASK=255.0.0.0
    BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
    NETWORK=127.0.0.0
    PEERDNS:no

rc.inet1.conf (Static)
    # Config information for eth3
    IPADDR[3]="192.168.100.35"
    NETMASK[3]="255.255.252.0"
    USE_DHCP[3]="no"
    DHCP_HOSTNAME[3]=""

# Default gateway IP address:
    GATEWAY="192.168.100.1

Anyone have any ideas on what I should set for the loopback settings? Btw, I appreciate all the advice everyone has given me. Thx peeps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast