Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know its sounds stupid but i'm with avas antivirus pro, and it detected a trojan/virus in Slackware 12-dvd.iso. I'm downloading the torrent from the slackware site. is it the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    @home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria

Trojans in Slackware 12???

I know its sounds stupid but i'm with avas antivirus pro, and it detected a trojan/virus in Slackware 12-dvd.iso. I'm downloading the torrent from the slackware site. is it the antivirus or something else?

That's unlikely, I'm guessing a false positive. Where were you downloading the file from?

Is it a case that the torrent is not finished downloading and that it was scanning an incomplete file?

A lot of Windows antivirus detect viruses on Linux files, once I scanned my Linux partition and it found a couple of trojans in configuration files and binaries
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

i'm downloading the torrent dvd file from slackware.com. its 96.5% ready. I think that the window$ antivirus progz are not built to recognize linux files Maybe they are trying to discourage people from downloading Linux OS, by thinking that it's build with viruses/trojans
    i think when i downloaded new version for Nmap it detected it as trojan, but slackware 11 dvd had no problems. iguess it's just a mistake because the only dvd torrent i could find was on slackware.com

That's quite impossible to have a Trojans in the ISO Salackware DVD, Yes the Windows antivirus fails in reading the ELF binaries/libraries,

don't trust these software they are failing in protecting the windows silent Os,

if you want to be sure use clamv for scanning,
    but i guess most probably you have a problem in the integrity don't forget once you finish downloading a linux distro to check the integrity of the files.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Linux Newbie
    When it's done checksum it, so that you can discount the possibility that someone on the torrent wasn't feeding you a trojan virus. Hell it can happen... okay I'm paranoid... but that's why downloads usually come with md5s, so that you can check that the download wasn't either corrupted or hijacked right?

I believe either it's a corrupted iso or because he download it under windows so the iso image is touch by an existing trojan or virus, because i don't trust win security.
    Archost.

i checked it with the antivirus (Avas! Antivir Pro 4.7) after the download and it found this:
    Malware: Virus/Worm
    File: too long to see, but its in the kde dir
    Virus name: Nutcracker family

The second one is:
    Malware: Virus/Worm
    File: too long to see, but its in the kdei dir
    Virus name: Nutcracker family

i found a bulgarian mirror, i'll try it. i guess they uploaded it today 'cause yestraday there were onle 6 cds

Believe me this is not true because

1- windows anti viruses aren't made to detect Linux viruses
    2- they can't see the tgz file and check linux libraries
    3- you download it directly after the release

and for me this is bad to use windows anti virus to check Linux distro !
    please don't put that kind of posts (look at the title ,Oh this what we miss) just don't trust these software,and again they are failing to protect windows .
    Archost.

Actially the see the tgz files and check them as an archive. I've checked many tgz files with antivirus before and it checks them, because i see the files that the antivirus checks.
    So just in case i downloaded slack 12 from a mirror without torrent and checked it again and it found the same two warnings as before.
    So i accept aliov's appinion and remind everyone to md5 checksum and donload slackware

Thank you for your posts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast