Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm happy to say, I've now got slack 12 installed and running. The new 2.6 kernel made for a much nicer install than the previous 2.4 did with my hardware. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New Install, without X, cant locate it.

I'm happy to say, I've now got slack 12 installed and running. The new 2.6 kernel made for a much nicer install than the previous 2.4 did with my hardware. So far I have everything working but X. I dont know the name of the package that will let me run fluxbox.
    any tips? I tried slapt-get --search x11 and slapt-get --search xorg. The first came up with way too many results, the second not enough.
    Although I must admit, CLI'ing it all day has been pretty cool. Even got some music going with mpg123. I was impressed with the simplicity.

PS: I know this question has probably come up before, but I can't search LF.O with the image captcha you have on the search feature... It's a bummer, but I dont know what could be done about it.
    Living the digital dream....
    Disclaimer: I may be wrong since I was once before.
    Breathe out so I can breathe you in ~~Everlong

Linux Newbie
    Edit: don't get it, have you installed Slackware without X? Or do you just mean that you haven't configured X yet? If the former, if you haven't done much with slack, why not simply reinstall it with X? Else mount the dvd find the X packages and install them with installpkg, then you don't even have to download anything (I did this for extra kernel modules I needed in Slackware 11).

For the latter have you

(a) configured X?
    (b) selected your preferred wm?

For (a) xorgconfig, X -configure or I think Xorg -config.
    For (b) xwmconfig then choose fluxbox.

I'm downloading Slackware 12 right now, can't wait! It's really up to date, it's crazy.
    Last edited by mahlerfan; 07-06-2007 at 12:37 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by mahlerfan View Post
    Edit: don't get it, have you installed Slackware without X? Or do you just mean that you haven't configured X yet? If the former, if you haven't done much with slack, why not simply reinstall it with X? Else mount the dvd find the X packages and install them with installpkg, then you don't even have to download anything (I did this for extra kernel modules I needed in Slackware 11).

For the latter have you

(a) configured X?
    (b) selected your preferred wm?

For (a) xorgconfig, X -configure or I think Xorg -config.
    For (b) xwmconfig then choose fluxbox.

I'm downloading Slackware 12 right now, can't wait! It's really up to date, it's crazy.
    I installed slack without X, but Ive done pretty much all the configuring except for X. I have the cd mounted, but dont know which package to grab to get it running. Thanks for the help

it's the packages under x ,you can use slackpkg to install them or the dvd,for slackpkg choose a mirror from /etc/slakpkg/mirrors , (ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-12.0/ )

and slackpkg update
    slackpkg install x/

you can optimize you installation if you are planning to use only fluxbox, and if you know your vga you can install only xf86-video-i810 (for my intel for example) and sure the keyboard and the mouse,some other package are no needed for fluxbox,and you can choose under xap the fluxbox, once your X is configured you can run startfluxfox, i can't say wath the minimum required ,but at least the font and the protocol and the server nad the corresponding driver.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    it's the packages under x ,you can use slackpkg to install them or the dvd,for slackpkg choose a mirror from /etc/slakpkg/mirrors , (ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-12.0/ )

and slackpkg update
    slackpkg install x/

you can optimize you installation if you are planning to use only fluxbox, and if you know your vga you can install only xf86-video-i810 (for my intel for example) and sure the keyboard and the mouse,some other package are no needed for fluxbox,and you can choose under xap the fluxbox, once your X is configured you can run startfluxfox, i can't say wath the minimum required ,but at least the font and the protocol and the server nad the corresponding driver.

Regards.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

alright, got it working... I'm not used to needing the second install disk. Normally X is on the first disk of most distros.

Anyway, I have things nearly configured and customized the way I like them. I hope everyone else has a happy slackware 12.0