Find the answer to your Linux question:
After hours of tinkering after install Slack 12.0, because I only downloaded disc 1 and have a wireless network, I finally got X installed (all 1000 packages). So after configuring ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Cannot startx in 12.0

After hours of tinkering after install Slack 12.0, because I only downloaded disc 1 and have a wireless network, I finally got X installed (all 1000 packages). So after configuring xorg.conf with "xorgconfig" and selected a WM. Now, whenever I do "startx" I get this error:
    Code:
    Fatal server error:
    could not open default font 'fixed'
    giving up.
    at the very end of my Xorg.0.log!

I have no idea why this is happening as I installed all packages under x/, so all the fonts should have been installed. When searching, all I found were useless info that had nothing to do with my problem. And since 12.0 is so new I couldn't find much.

Any suggestions?
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, I was wrong, I should have searched a little more! I eventually found something useful back when 12.0 was -current. Turns out the doinst.sh for the fonts where not executed correctly during install so some fonts where not registered. What I had to do is run the commands in doinst.sh manually in each font directory and it all works now.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Oh waw, the installpkg command didn't not run the doinst.sh ! i had this problem but i solved by fixing the fonts path in xorg.conf ,but it was a updated slackware 11 x.

i'm planning to install slackware 12 on a another machine, if what you said is correct the the installpkg of the new slackware has some troubles ,we will se.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    i'm planning to install slackware 12 on a another machine, if what you said is correct the the installpkg of the new slackware has some troubles ,we will se.
    I don't think the problem is with pkgtool but actually with the doinst.sh! All other packages, including the ones I created myself for other software, work just fine.

Yes you right it can't be a problem with the pkgtool !

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.