Find the answer to your Linux question:
I freshly installed slackware 12 and when I lock my session I can't log back in, it won't accept my password. So I do some research and find out this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weirdest thing EVER! dissapearing /opt/kde!

I freshly installed slackware 12 and when I lock my session I can't log back in, it won't accept my password. So I do some research and find out this usually has to do with some permissions setting on some file in the /opt/kde directory, so I go to check it out and to my shock the entire /opt directory is completely empty!!!!........??? WTF?!?!

Everything seems to be working correctly except for the logging back in issue, so I figure it's got to be reading a /kde directory somewhere...

Anybody have any clue what's going on here!?!?

The SLackware developers aren't putting KDE in /opt anymore all the files are know in /usr .

Check the X keyboard layout if you receive a wrong password when entering it.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    It's in "/usr/what"? or is it spread out in there? Also, I don't have any layout explicitly defined in xorg.conf , but it is commented in there that it defaults to "us", so that's probably not it right?

I think what I need to do is this... LinuxPackages :: View topic - KDE 3.5 lock session password fails.

But where's KDE at?

Just Joined!
    yeah changing permissions and owner worked... I guess kde is now in "the usual places" that most other apps install to huh?

thanks for your help aliov, I know I've been a pain lately!

Yes, know you can find the KDE packages in /usr/lib and the binaries in /usr/bin and the localization in /usr/local and so on, also for Xorg it had a special Folder called X11R6 (for the 6.x release) but know there is only a folder called X11 contains symbolic links only, for me i didn't like this at all , but sure there is a reason for this .

Regards .
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.