Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have just installed Slackware 12 and added to the Mandriva grub menu list. When I try to boot to Slackware everything is going well and in the end this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 12 can't login

I have just installed Slackware 12 and added to the Mandriva grub menu list. When I try to boot to Slackware everything is going well and in the end this message is shown "welcome to linux 2.6.21.5-smp (tty1) driton login" , during the installation I didn't add any user or put any password so I am stuck here and can't move because is saying invalid password and I can't login.
    As I am new to Linux I be grateful if somebody can help me. Thanks in advance.

You didn't set password?

All I can think of is that you have a complete and default install. Login as root.

Slack doesn't guide you through the installation as much as most other distro's. So the install procedure doesn't make you define a user. You'll need to do that afterwards, manually.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by driton View Post
    I have just installed Slackware 12 and added to the Mandriva grub menu list. When I try to boot to Slackware everything is going well and in the end this message is shown "welcome to linux 2.6.21.5-smp (tty1) driton login" , during the installation I didn't add any user or put any password so I am stuck here and can't move because is saying invalid password and I can't login.
    As I am new to Linux I be grateful if somebody can help me. Thanks in advance.
    to set the root password do passwd root
    to make a new user called aliov do:

useradd -s /bin/bash -d /home/aliov -m -p (password) -g users -G dbus,haldaemon,video,avahi,audio aliov

this will add a user called aliov with default shell bash and default group users and additional groups ,note the additional groups are important to use drm for video and dbus & Hal for automouting devices.

Hope this help
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I manage to set root password and after I press enter button it's saying that I have a new message and a poem is showing up,and probably I am registered as a root because this is the last message I have "root@driton#" which command should I give to enter to Slackware.

Slackware does nothing automatically , you have to configure you X ,so best way it's to copy the one in madriva, it's a file called xorg.con located in /etc/X11 after that you can start your windows manager by typing kdm ,or you simply startx. if everything goes fine then you can go to runlevel 4 by chaging the default runlevel in /etc/inittab

# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:

change 3 to 4.

Hope this help
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    I have tried to change default runlevel from 3 to 4 but with no success . Can you tell me how to do that step by step. Thanks in advance.

try to run the script xorgsetup , you can also have a look to your xorg.conf in your mandriva partition , because most probably your X still not configured or using vesa.

But as i said before don't switch to runlevel 4 before configuring properly your X.

Regards.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Thanks with your help problem solved, but now I can't connect to the net.When I enter to the network interface it says that "your platform is not supported" I choose different platform and I enter manually my static Ip but still no go.

Good for the first step, for the internet wish wifi/ethernet you have ?

run lspci and post it here ,we need full information about your network in order to solve it .as much information as possible,

Regards.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    This is the output of the command lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 81)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 81)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 01)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH/GHM (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 01)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    01:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
    01:04.0 Mass storage controller: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 (ASUS 8211 (ITE IT8212 ATA RAID Controller)) (rev 11)
    02:00.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3132 Serial ATA Raid II Controller (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600] (rev a2)
    Aliov thanks alot for your assistance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast