Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am about to install slackware 12 dvd iso, i got from slackware mirror site. But when I booted the dvd with default kernel hugesmp.s I was stuck on " ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 12 install halt

I am about to install slackware 12 dvd iso, i got from slackware mirror site. But when I booted the dvd with default kernel hugesmp.s
    I was stuck on "
    Serial: 8250/16550 driver $ Revision: and etc ports, IRQ sharing enable" and nothing happens...no additional line or prompt.

What would I do, I wait for couple of minutes but still didn't go thru.Also, i tried huge.s but the same. I installed slackware 11 on this pc few months back and its fine.

Have you experience this prior to install proper? This is weird..pls any suggestion is badly needed...tnks.

Sorry for this late reply but try to append to your kernel this option

acpi=noirq

Hope this help.
    Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Try acpi=off - it worked for me

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The 2.6 kernel doesn't seem to like my hardware either. While the 2.4 never gave any trouble. I solved most issues by append="acpi=force pci=noacpi". I had different errors though. But you may have to try different settings in order to get it working.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    The 2.6 kernel doesn't seem to like my hardware either.
    I think the problem of you is that the slackware kernel is not patched against anything.

for me for example when i use ubuntu with the 2.6 no problem but under slackware 12.0 i got crazy from seeing my screen goes blank after some time from the boot. adding acpi=off boot the machine but not acpi and no battery or cpu frequency scaling. after some work (i was very close to switch completely to debian) i disable everything in /etc/udev/rules.d related to 60-pcmcia.rules and my machine works.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.