Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
A friend of mine in my Linux class told me a program called zebra that I will need for my project. I downloaded and unzipped it, ran ./configure, make, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Program Installations

A friend of mine in my Linux class told me a program called zebra that I will need for my project. I downloaded and unzipped it, ran ./configure, make, and make install in a bash shell and the installation went flawless. Unfortunatly I do not know how to run the program lol. This is something that has had me stuck for a while. I've looked through all the directories and menus and I couldn't find anything useful. Anyone have any advice they could give me about how to run newly installed programs? I starting to feel like a total noob lol.

the program executables will be found in /usr/bin directory and the things which need root acess can be found in /sbin

you can also search for specific program name by using command
    Code:
    whereis -b program
    for zebra
    Code:
    whereis -b zebra
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Just Joined!
    Thx for the reply. Igot it installed and now I just have to configure it, it shouldn't be that difficult. Also has anyone used beryl? if so tell me what you think of it. I have been trying to install it but some dependencies are stopping me from doing it. I'll work it all out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kd2323 View Post
    Thx for the reply. Igot it installed and now I just have to configure it, it shouldn't be that difficult. Also has anyone used beryl? if so tell me what you think of it. I have been trying to install it but some dependencies are stopping me from doing it. I'll work it all out.
    I have installed beryl.
    I just downloaded source packages and installed one by one.
    So when you come across a dependency, install it.

You can download beryl slackware packages from here but later when you run beryl-manager, you may come across error which could be due to some dependency, So I suggest tar packages.

beryl_slack12 eSnips Folder (use this one if you are going to)

beryl eSnips Folder
    beryl_old eSnips Folder

I think language is portugese so you can use online translator.

You might need to edit xorg.conf later.

This link tell what to edit.
    '+'

Well I am using kororaa's xorg.conf file.
    You can run sabayon/kororaa and use their xorg.conf file.

BEST OF LUCK!!!

Just Joined!
    I have been trying to install the packages and the only dependency I come across so far is this pygtk-2.0 and i did some searching and it seems to be available for gnome but not kde. I have a feeling that beryl is not kde compatible. knowing my luck it wont be. I'll continue to figure this out but if I can't get it working then would you happen to know any other beryl type programs?

Linux Newbie
    No.

I gave you links but you didn't read it .
    Download the package from here :
    beryl_slack12 eSnips Folder

You can also install from source.
    run these commands

wget http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sourc...2.10.6.tar.bz2
    tar jxvf pygtk-2.10.6.tar.bz2
    cd pygtk-2.10.6
    ./configure
    make
    make install

----------------------------------------------------

Compiz is there with slackware 12.
    If you want to use then follow this guide.
    Compiz - SlackWiki

Create the directories & files manually which don't exist.

mkdir dir
    touch file

If it gives error regarding direct rendering when you run at last step then I will tell what command to run.

which version of slackware are you using

if your slackware version is 11 you can try packages from Index of /slackpkg/beryl

and get pyrex, pygtk from -- MyTux.org -- Il sito dove linux diventa tuo --
    life is the greatest opportunity that the nature had given you

Just Joined!
    abhishek456 I am using slackware 12 and I have beryl installed and up and running... somewhat. When I open the manager and select beryl the borders around any open windows as well as the task bar disappear; it certainly does not look like the youtube clip I have seen. I probably don't have it configured properly but I am sure I will get it taken care of. I would also like to thank littledrop for the links, they worked perfectlyl.

Linux Newbie
    Well Done

Use emerald in beryl-manager & play with window decoration settings
    you will get the title bar.

Did you got the cube effect?
    press & hold alt + ctrl
    now click left mouse and move it

Just Joined!
    Emerald. I have been using aquamarine... I didnt know which one to use so I thought I would just try them both. I will download emerald as soon as I can get an internet connection. It's weird; I can't get a DHCP IP address so I specify a static address in inet1.conf and in network connections in the control center but it wont save those IP settings. Sometimes that method works and sometimes it doesn't. I can only run slackware when I am at school because I dont have a pc at home, all I have is my laptop and I need windows on that so I can do my programming work and I dont like setting up a duel boot. Maybe it's the way my schools network is setup. I will worry about the internet later, I just want to get beryl up and running. I will use emerald and play with the window settings and let you know how it goes. Thx for your help littledrop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast