Avoid calling CRDA?
For two years I've had problems with my integrated WLAN adapter.
This is what happens:
And then the adapter is no longer associated with the AP. I.e. I get disconnected when this happens.
wlan0: authenticate with 03:ff:ff:34:d6:01 (try 1)
wlan0: associate with 03:ff:ff:34:d6:01 (try 1)
wlan0: RX AssocResp from 03:ff:ff:34:d6:01 (capab=0x421 status=0 aid=2)
!!! -> wlan0: deauthenticating from 03:ff:ff:34:d6:01 by local choice (reason=3)
cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
(start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
(2402000 KHz - 2472000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
(2457000 KHz - 2482000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
(2474000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
(5170000 KHz - 5250000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
(5735000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (300 mBi, 2000 mBm)
It will not happen on a regular basis either, it seems to happen completely sporadically. Sometimes I will not happen for several hours after associating, sometimes it will happen a second after associating, sometimes several times in a row, sometimes not at all.
My question is simple:
How can I prevent this from happening? I don't want my adapter to EVER call CRDA to fetch this information, it is utter nonsense to me.
The wireless device is the iwl4965, if it matters.
Yes, I've tried different firmware (several).
Yes, I've tried a different kernel (several).
Yes, I've tried different GNU/Linux distros (several).
Yes, I've tried a different AP.
No, there are no other issues with my system.
I'm not sure if there is anyone here that can actually answer this for you, ( I hope I am wrong), if you have dealt with this for two years, you have probably seen just about any link we can come up with. ;) I know I can't answer it for you but I do have a suggestion and I am not trying to be a smart Aleck or butthead about this but why don't you just get a new WLAN card? I think after the first six months, I would have gone a little off the deep end and gotten myself a new card.
On a side note, have you checked your router? Do you even have a router? Have you tried different channels?
Here is a Ubuntu bug report that seems related, on the surface anyways.
I could get a new wlan card, that is a solution that would probably correct the issue, but it is nevertheless one that I don't want to go with.
Originally Posted by MikeTbob
These APs (like I said I've tried several, quite a few actually) are all on the university campus, there are no issues (of this particular kind, at least) with the APs for the thousands of other students who use them.
Different APs are indeed on different channels, there doesn't seem to be a correlation.
The problem is simply that the Linux CRDA calling functionality seems flawed as it will always disconnect the device from the AP whenever this happens.
I want to prevent it from ever fetching the regulatory information from CRDA.