Help with slackware on a REALLY old system
i have tried installing slackware 10.1 on a really old system. It took me awhile, but i finally got over some problems with cylinder limitations on the hdd and so on.
i managed to get these packages installed (off the top of my head):
- D (i think)
- Most of X but without devel and extra fonts
- some of the XAP series (really only a few aps and fluxbox
after all that, the only thing that wont work is X. After configuring it till the cows come home, it still gives me half the screen with the res being really low.
i can only use the generic driver (at least thats what it tells me) because my old graphics card is unsupported.
- 486-DX4 100mhz (i think it is a DX4)
- 16 mb ram (upgraded to 32 mb in the process of trying to get x working)
- 1 gb hdd
- everything including cd drive woring through a isa controller card
- cd drive
- Cirrus Logic GD5426 (unknown vram, maybe 1 mb)
as said above i dont know the vram size, but i have experimented around with no luck.
does anybody know how to fix this, or should i just abandon trying X?