LiLo Problem installing with an USB
Hi everyone! I was trying to install Slackware on my old PC Desktop with Windows (for my mother to use) so I could test it before using it in my personal laptop.
All the setup process goes fine, but LiLo install fails and so I can't get Slack's boot working, when I select it on the Windows boot loader after adding its options with EasyBCD.
I'll list you all the details of the entire process of setup + EasyBCD boot adding, to see if I got something wrong somewhere, but the actual error is where I attach the image.
First of all, I burned Slackware 13.37 amd64 complete .iso to my USB drive using UNetBootin (with the mini .img created for USB setup I had some real troubles having to copy the files from the USB into a mounting directory on the hard drive, too noob I am). Selected Default in UNetbootin startup selection, changed my keyboard map, logged as root, and typed setup as I prepared my partition map before using GParted.
I selected my swap partition (/dev/sda8), saying not to check for bad blocks, and then used one of the Linux partition I created (/dev/sda5) as root partition. Didn't use any of the other ones as separate /home partition or whatsoever.
Added my two Windows partitions (/dev/sda1-2) to /etc/fstab with fmask=111,dmask=000 (read/write access for everyone) and mounted them in dedicated folders put in / partition directly.
Selected "install from a hard drive partition" option, pointing directly to my USB (/dev/sdg1) with slackware64 folder declared with no sub-folders as it is located to the main space of the USB drive. Left all default packages to install, and selected full setup. Waited for all packages to install (it took around 7 minutes).
I skipped the creation of a USB Linux Boot Stick and selected simple LiLo installation (automatic). Selected standard Linux console and no optional append. Answered not to use UTF-8 text console and chose root patition as destination for LiLo (tried also with MBR but got the same result). Got this error message:
Searched around for solutions as it seems to be a common error, but I still wasn't able to solve it.
Continued with mouse and GPM configuration and skipped network configuration. Left all default startup services to run, skipped custom fonts and adjusted hardware clock. Chose Fluxbox window manager and set root password. Closed setup program, restarted, logged in into Windows and opened EasyBCD to make the following changes: Added a LILO/eLILO option named "Slackware", pointing to partition 3 (the one on which I had installed Slackware, obviously). Restarted and selected it. I only get my system rebooted again...