Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy 2 Problems - SuSE 10.0 & KDE 3.5

Hi, I am new to linux and am really enjoying SuSE 10.0 unfortunately I have a couple of.... things, that I can't get to work that are starting to bug me and any help with solving the problem would be appreciated.

1) I am using a Compaq Evo N600c what has the usual 4+ internet keys and of course a Fn key for adjusting contrast etc,. In KDE I have the right keyboard set but couldn't find anywhere to adjust the settings (the Fn key works but not with all buttons, example I can turn Num lock on but can't adjust contrast both use Fn). I have also tried lineakd to setup multimedia keys but can't get that to work. Any suggestions ??

2) KDE 3.5 has the cool feature of when inserting a media device (DVD /iPod) it asks what you want to do. I have tried adding my own option so that when I insert a DVD xine is an option and it will start and play DVD automaticly (xine -pd) setting up is fine (and the command works, might have it wrong here) but when I run the option I get the following error: "Error - KIOExec" '/media/dvd is a folder, but a file was expected'. Same thing happens when I try to auto launch Gtkpod.

Sorry about the long post I have tried googling with no luck the problems are probably more KDE then SuSE so sorry if the post is in the wrong place Again, any help appreciated.

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my ipod - why in the world doesn't KDE execute the bash script I wrote when run from the ipod as it does when I choose run in KDE? I think it's a bug, guess I should try to find it and file it... not signed up for the KDE bug filing system yet though...

kde DVD autoplay problem - solved

-->
    I had the same. I tried to configure different xine startup scripts:

xine -p dvd:/
    xine --auto-play --auto-scan dvd
    xine %u

but all failed. Then I found someone had the same problem in Ubuntu 5.10 and had posted the solution.

He used

xine --auto-play=fh dvd:/ #%u

and I think the magic is the '# %u' at the end. My guess is that kde wants to send the url anyway and if the script does not have the %u, then kde does something like passing the url to kioexec or whatever.

For those who does not understand the '# %u'; # is comment in shell scripts and everything after it on the same line will be discarded.

So this little hack let's kde to put the url to %u and with # we can ignore it.

--auto-play=fh means; f - fullscreen, h - hide controls

ps. Somehow I got always some crash dialog after configuring the autoplay from Control Center -> Peripherals -> Storage media

ps2. The Storage media configurator is a bit confusing. You must select 'DVD Video Disk' to the 'Media type:' if you want to configure the behaviour when a DVD is inserted. It took a while for me to figure this out, because the default selection is 'All media types' and whatever I inserted there didn't show up when I inserted a DVD.

$spacer_open
$spacer_close