Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs down SuSE lockup at BOOT (Random)

Good morning all!

So I'm having an INTERMITTANT problem with SuSE, which I find odd, because usually when problems happen with Linux, it happens ALL THE TIME, .... but this one is just random.

Here's what happens:

1. SuSE is locking up @ boot time.
    NOTE: This doesn't happen ALL of the time, but I'd say it happens 90% of the boot attemps.

Booting Normal Mode:
    If you're looking at the pretty splash screen, ... it locks up. (The circle loading bar freezes, and only the bottom two of the verticle four icons are 'lit up')
    If you're looking at the details of the boot....
    Right after "Disabling IP Forwarding.... Done"....there's a few 'blank lines' of sort dispalyed...then it locks up. (No more activity...etc.)

Booting Fail-Safe Mode:
    Of course we're forced to look at the details for this mode, and this time it locks up...
    "Disabling IP Forwarding...Done"
    "Processing Events....Done"
    ....bunch of hard drive activity...(still no other display messages...)
    LOCKUP.

Again I repeat, this problem happens about 90% of the boot attemps...so it takes a while for me to actually get through.

My hardware specs for this SuSE installation
    Dell Latitude CPi-A
    w/ Xircom Modem/LAN PCMCIA card.

Any ideas??

Thanks !

FYI:

Turns out this is a kernel bug....it exists with many (if not all) linux distros.

It has been a bug for several kernel releases...I would assume since the beginning?

Anyways, that's that. Doesn't look like it will ever be fixed, since it hasn't already yet.

Seems to be an issue with onboard sound....mostly with laptops, but with some desktops also.

Got the same proble

Hey Fermy,

I installed SuSE 10.0 on Latitude LS and got the same problem. I've been looking for more information on the cause but have found none. How did you determine this is a kernal bug? :-0

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yo;

I found out that it's a kernel bug because the same thing happens with Ubuntu...

Plus I remember reading somewhere that it's simply a kernel bug....(of course this isn't ''simply'' but still...)

Anyways... I have yet to resolve the issue, and unfortunately had to go back to Windows on that notebook

If you want to troubleshoot your system, take a look at /var/log/messages and run
    dmesg
    in a terminal. These two will reveal if there actually is a kernel problem.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Fermulator
    yo;

I found out that it's a kernel bug because the same thing happens with Ubuntu...

Plus I remember reading somewhere that it's simply a kernel bug....(of course this isn't ''simply'' but still...)

Anyways... I have yet to resolve the issue, and unfortunately had to go back to Windows on that notebook
    Dude! you had to re-install window$(horrors of horrors). Ya know now it makes since, I had the same problem with Fedora Core 2 and Core 4. Thought it was the distro. Well I've wanted to do my part for Linux this problem my be the chance

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    If you want to troubleshoot your system, take a look at /var/log/messages and run
    dmesg
    in a terminal. These two will reveal if there actually is a kernel problem.
    I never think to look at the system logs. I'll check it out and see if there's anything obvious.

Thanks

Hey Kojack,

Ok I've gone througth the logs a few times and when the systenm locks up at SuSE firewall SuSEfirewall2: Warning: ip6tables does not support state matching. Extended IPv6 support disabled. and that's it. Ive gone and tried to shut down the firewall but this step seems to always run.

A couple of things I noticed,

modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting sonypi (/lib/modules/2.6.13-15.8-default/kernel/drivers/char/sonypi.ko): No such device
    Apr 22 14:42:13 Catch22 hp: unable to open /var/run/hpiod.port: No such file or directory: prnt/hpijs/hplip_api.c 75.

This always comes up.

ACPI-0768: *** Warning: Thread 866 could not acquire Mutex [<NULL>] AE_BAD_PARAMETER

and this

hda:<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
    hda: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    hda1 <<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
    hda5<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
    hda6<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21

I'm not really savvy with the internals of linux but could this dma time out error be the causse of the random lockup?? How cn I tes this?

Thanks

Seeker

To determine whether these errors are causing this you could try booting with these kernel options:

noacpi

ide=nodma

or both.

Also please post your hardware (lspci).

-->
    hda:<4>hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21

This is never a good sign. It means that either your harddrive is nearing death (if it is rather old. If it is new, download diagnostic tools and check the drive immediately!) or that there is a bug in the kernel. (I know that these dma problems were fixed in Mandriva and Ubuntu, don't know about others). Check the bugtracker of your distro. If there are no dma timeout errors reported by anyone, submit a new bugreport, so the problem can be fixed.

PS: Sorry for the long delay, but I simply forgot this thread. Ooops...
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984