Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having some problems with my computer's stability.It freezes up completely from time to time. The good thing is it does it only on a very specific moment, or should ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stability problems

I'm having some problems with my computer's stability.It freezes up completely from time to time. The good thing is it does it only on a very specific moment, or should I say when a specific action is taken.

It freezes up if and when I'm downloading many files at the same time with a browser. The amount of files needs to be about 20-30. My system has frozen about 10 times this way, with 3 different browsers, so I don't think it is a browser thing.
    I also don't think it is a hardware problem, since other operating system in the same box are running just fine.

I'm running suse 9.1

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

Check the system logs. They can tell you a lot (or be no help at all ). Even so, they're always the first place to look. You can find them in /var/log/.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Check the system logs. They can tell you a lot (or be no help at all ). Even so, they're always the first place to look. You can find them in /var/log/.
    Good tips, and that was exactly what I did after the first freeze Nothing unusual there...

I'm not a complete beginner anymore, been using linux for about 5 years now )

Linux Engineer
    i had the same problem though!my computer was freazing 4 times a day without doing something special.i believe that maybe is a hardware problem.i figured out that the problem was my usb-flash drive.when it was connected to my pc after a little time it was freazing...so check for harware incompatibilities...
    Linux For Ever!