Find the answer to your Linux question:
I switched to Suse Linux 9.1 last week and I am very happy with the funcionality of the system. However if I compare it to my previous Windows 2000 installation, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fonts and Icons lacking Crispness/Sharpness

I switched to Suse Linux 9.1 last week and I am very happy with the funcionality of the system. However if I compare it to my previous Windows 2000 installation, the icons and fonts are simply not entirely sharp but a bit blurry instead.

My hardware has been recognized correctly (ATI Radeon 9000 with 128 MB, LG Flatscreen L1710S) and the screen resolution is in line with the specifications of the monitor 1280x1024. I tried to en- and disable font anti-aliasing with no clear changes.

If anybody knows a solution I would be most grateful to learn!

Regards,

Alexander

Yes... I had the same problem the first time i put suse an my lappie what happens is that suse chooses a crt or VESA when it needs to be lcd then it will clear up the messed up text and you will have a clear picture this can be done in Yast...
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Hi Mike,

and thanks for your quick answer!
    I am not really sure how to do in Yast because in the hardware section under "Graphics Card and Monitor" the LCD is properly recognized whereas under "Hardware Info" it says only "Generic Monitor/Display" (which is of course wrong). But as far as I can see I cannot change anything in the "hardware info section".

Regards,

Alexander

Also is your suse "Pro " or not ... if it isnt you might need to d/l the ati drivers and install them then follow the instructions for them and do the fglrxconfig to get all your opengl(3d) but dont quote me on that i havent set up an ati gfx card in suse
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

blurry text

I am also having the same issues with a Radeon 9000, but using a Sony CRT 200SF monitor- would you elaborate for a newbie how to install and configure X more optimally? This is actually the reason I have been lagging in my Linux learning, cuz at higher than 1024x768, I can barely read the screen. I feel fairly confident that this wouldn't be considered the norm.
    Thanks!