Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to put Suse 9.1 personal on my Dell Optiplex GX1 (Pentium 3 400MHz 128MB RAM) in which I installed a 40GB Maxtor hard drive. Everything works fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Maxtor 40GB hard drive problem with Suse 9.1 Personal

I am trying to put Suse 9.1 personal on my Dell Optiplex GX1 (Pentium 3 400MHz 128MB RAM) in which I installed a 40GB Maxtor hard drive. Everything works fine in Windows 98SE but when trying to use Yast to install I get a couple of error messages leading to Abort being the only option.

The first error message tells me that the information sector has the wrong signature (534f4453). Then the next error message tells me that there is a mismatch in the number of clusters and that there are 1394614304 and not 1219764.
    Can someone tell me how to get the installer to partition my hard drive properly and not abort?

Linux Engineer
    I have never seen that error before.. it could be just a matter of fdisking the spare partition (or the whole disk you you have no spare) or it could be a sign of a failing hard disk.. or something else.. if you can then please take note of the _exact_ error you get from the installer and post back here. It would also be worthwile for you to check the error in a search engine.

Just Joined!
    was that HD purchased from dell or other company?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JROCK2004
    was that HD purchased from dell or other company?
    Drive was purchased from another company. It installed OK with the Maxtor installation software and I have had no problems with it up until I attempted to install Linux.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    I have never seen that error before.. it could be just a matter of fdisking the spare partition (or the whole disk you you have no spare) or it could be a sign of a failing hard disk.. or something else.. if you can then please take note of the _exact_ error you get from the installer and post back here. It would also be worthwile for you to check the error in a search engine.
    I'll first of all take note of the exact error. I am a bit loath to run fdisk for now because I have just reinstalled a lot of Windows stuff I took out when
    I ran the Maxtor drive setup software again in the hope of there being a glitch I could cure with that.

Is there any way that the Suse personal 9.1 setup can be run on a computer with less than 128MB RAM.
    My other PC , (200MHz 6x86, VXPro+ built by myself a few years ago) although slower is a lot more basic, has virtually no critical Windows software, but only has 48MB RAM. I am looking into expanding the RAM on the older machine

Many thanks for reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    Many thanks for putting the idea in my head. After much midnight oil burning, I have backed up all the critical stuff on the hard drive as well as fitting another 256 MB of RAM (discovering on the way the extra memory allowed the Live CD version to work). FDisking the hard drive resulted in everything working fine. (Not too impressed by Maxtor's utility). Suse 9.1 is now installed!

Now I have a whole shedload of problems to get my head around!